Am I Too Old

Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
11/30/2011 8:31 pm
sorry my internet is so stupid i mis-posted here and deleted my post.
Matteo Miller-Nicolato
Free Progressive Metal-Jazz-Punk Fusion Music
www.matteomillernicolato.com/Music.html

San Diego School of Guitar
Free Guitar Playing Instructional Resources
www.guitarlessonsinsandiego.com/Resources.html
# 1
dazzler99
dazzler99
12/05/2011 12:20 pm
its never too late to start,
and besides its better to start off late than never to start on your life

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saxclass.com
online saxophone lessons
http://www.saxclass.com
online saxophone lessons
# 2
adir olf
adir olf
12/06/2011 12:31 am
In the words of the RHCP's: its better to regret something you did instead of something you didn't do

although I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about anything particularly constructive :)
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 3
Carl Longe
Carl Longe
12/06/2011 4:39 am
My wife bought me an accoustic last Christmas, I was sure I'd be playing at least a few songs by now! I guess it really depends on your life and the time you put into practising. The first 5 months I learned my 5 cords, A,C,D,E & G. (forget the F and B for now!!LOL)and took a few lessons from a friend that plays not too bad, however, we only jammed and drank, don't remember much of what he taught me..... Then my wife and I went on a 4 week holiday which didn't include bringing my guitar, bad mistake! I forgot alot in one month, at least my hand and brain weren't quit where they were before we left. So since we have been back I have tried to practise as much as possible, the last month at least 2-3 hours a day, really makes a difference! (My fingers are going thru their 3rd or 4th break-in, ouch!! lol
I really can't play anything, but I know im getting closer. I bought this course about a month after Christmas, had I been following it better, I certainly would be playing better. I think it really doesn't matter how old you are, your never too old to take up playing a guitar or anyother instrument as long as you are able to physically. It's fun and magical all at the same time!!
First time i've written in this forum, hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year!!!
# 4
bralorne
bralorne
12/06/2011 7:58 pm
wow am i ever glad I read this thread,i am 47 and have always wanted to play .
procrastination is gone now and i finally bought a guitar and signed up,obviously questioning if i am too old as well.thanks fo the encouragement , i am hooked.
cheers
# 5
Baldrum
Baldrum
12/08/2011 7:40 am
G'day folks ...
Looks like I'm in good company. Like many of you, my wife bought me a guitar for Christmas - it arrived yesterday! She was probably getting her own back - I bought her a saxaphone for Christmas a couple of years ago. Turns out I'm going deaf - I'm sure she said she wanted a sax for Christmas.

Anyhoo, I'm 65 turning 66 shortly and the good thing is my 19 year old son has decided to take up the guitar again - did it at school but gave it away.

Found this site on Youtube while looking for help - I'm a newbie.

Cheers
# 6
Johnny014
Johnny014
12/08/2011 4:17 pm
If you honestly want to, you will!!!! I am 53 years young and have started all over again with this guitar thing. Twenty years of not playing and having only played basic cords when i did play i now have a mission and have been working everyday for just over one month. I now pick better, cord better, use new tecks and understand things like reading tabs. I just set my mind and started all over. Know what you want (goal) start where you feel comfortable, honest perfect practice, and keep going. when you feel confused or like you will never get as good as the people we all see. Push through it and take a break, A break work great the next time you practice or learn something new to try you will be amazed at you improvement. Keep going enjoy the process!!! Your just a smart kid at heart.
# 7
Saratoga Bill
Saratoga Bill
12/17/2011 9:33 pm
jeepers, now I don't feel bad. Bought a beginers guitar this summer, tried but could never get comfortable with it. Stopped at the local guitar shop yesterday and looked at several makes. Picked up a used Dean and wow, it felt good. So now, looking at 70, I'm going to get serious about learning.

Bill
# 8
deadkiller70
deadkiller70
01/01/2012 5:26 am
i just picked up the electric guitar today i really want to play and use the music from the guitar to bring out my feelings i love the songs knights of cydonia and uprissing by muse but my fingers are long and it mutes some of the strings lol i would not know where to begin i am 41 but have alot of heart.any idea how i can start playing
# 9
oldtimer73
oldtimer73
01/02/2012 11:48 pm
I am 73 & I bought a guitar & hope to learn to play.

You are never too old. I recently graduated from college, it only took 53 years.

I'll stop trying when they carry me away.
# 10
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
01/10/2012 12:16 am
Hello UKRocker :)

From a fellow Brit and a Londoner, it's nice to see someone else from the UK at Guitar Tricks! There aren't many of us here. So, welcome and I hope you benefit as much as I do.

The 50s onwards was a great era for music and modern day rock definitely owes inspiration to back then. A few of my favourites are Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry.

We Brits need to make more of a presence felt at GT, definitely! Have fun rocking just as well as the above legends.

Michael.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 11
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
01/10/2012 2:01 pm
Great to hear from the more mature students. I am 62 been playing since i was 59 and really enjoying the experience. Find it really therapeutic and exactly the right thing for the mind as I get older and a great challenge. It can be frustrating at times but patience is a great virtue. I would just say enjoy the journey and make your practice count, take it really slowly at first and remember even the greats are still learning.

Best wishes to all guitar students ,the young and the young at heart.
# 12
newfjustlearning
newfjustlearning
01/11/2012 9:12 pm
Hi Keith,

My name is Joe and I just wanted to emphasize(spell) that it's really important that you have a properly setup guitar as well. For years I've played on cheap guitars and it kept turning me off and I wouldn't stick with it. Don't get me
Wrong, you don't need a thousand dollar guitar but the action needs to be proper and even neck widths are different. Sometimes its te little things that make a difference. If you can find someone else who is into the same music to have a little jam together once every couple of weeks helps with the confidence and motivation booster.

I'm brand new to this site but I think forums are Also great places to get your ideas and thoughts down. Keep on plugging away and keep in touch. I'm 35 and have been playing for 20 years. I've never really progressed because I've never challenged myself...that's all about to change now though. A week go I almost sold my Martin D-18 for a downpayment on a toy. That would have been a regretful mistake. Instead, after sleeping on it I decided to have another go at playing, this time with some online help. I think we are both heading in the right direction. Cheers Man and Keep on Rockin.

Joe
# 13
Tankgirl_84
Tankgirl_84
01/16/2012 3:18 am
In response to "Am I too old", NO Way!!! I'm turning 62 in February, I have a fulltime job, and I still have time to teach myself every night for an hour and every morning for about 15 minutes with the aid of GuitarTricks how to play the guitar. I always wanted to learn since i sang in my highschool band eons ago. Now with no kids in the house, no one to bug I can practice and sing to my hearts content. Getting both hands and mouth to work together is not really so dfifficult. Learn chords slowly as instructed in new beginner lessons hum while playing them, strum to the beat, then bring up to speed. If your humming your singing so just add the words. But most of all enjoy!! If your not joining a hugs band and doing thisi for friends and grandchildren then enjoy. If you make a mistake don't stop just keep playing odds are no one will be able to tell. I started in April and can play the 13 easy Christmas songs, some blues, Icky Thump,collide by Howie day, Hotel California, and Rolling in the Deep, just to mention a few......and I'm not done yet!! I love Alternative. So don't give up, I don't have the reach for some chords but try replacement ones. Check out the internet. Good Luck! I know with practice you too can enjoy and have fun playing like I do! :)
# 14
ddlance
ddlance
01/18/2012 2:04 am
No, you now have another beginner in his 70's learning and practicing diligently..... Luv it....
# 15
matonanjin
matonanjin
01/18/2012 4:42 am
Shockingly, I am finding guys older than me (64) picking up a guitar! I casually mentioned to my wife last year sometime that I would like to play guitar again. I played bass in a band in high school. Santa brought me an electric guitar for Christmas. Fortunately, Santa doesn't know the difference between a bass and a six string and I was wanting to learn six string! So I have now been playing for 2 weeks!

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 16
omaof3
omaof3
01/20/2012 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ddlanceNo, you now have another beginner in his 70's learning and practicing diligently..... Luv it....

I'll soon be 65 and took up guitar last year. It is very slow going, but is is relaxing, and good to keep the brain active as it ages. I felt kind of silly buying a guitar at my age, so it's good to know there's other seniors learning too.
# 17
Kryckman
Kryckman
01/26/2012 8:15 pm
I'm 48 years young, and just got my guitar for Christmas. I started messing around with one in College, but had to sell it as I needed the money back then. I always regretted it.

Well here I am, starting new. After learning a couple songs off the internet, I decided I didn't want to just mimick being a guitar player, I wanted to truly learn how to play. I'm glad to see so many of us in the same boat. It will be fun to listen to eveyone's stories and their personal highs and lows as we go along. Time to do some scales.
# 18
miker551
miker551
01/29/2012 1:02 am
I took guitar lessons as a kid when I was around 12. I never stuck to anything when I was growing up including the guitar. Of course now I regret all of that because it was always easy to just not do it. A few years ago my wife bought me one of the Esteban guitars from HSN, I plinked away on it every now and then. This year I have set a goal of playing the guitar once and for all. I just turned 56 in December and I realized I haven't set goals for myself for quite some time. Thanks Guitar Tricks, I'm glad I found you.
# 19
Gloucester
Gloucester
01/31/2012 11:49 am
No your not too old.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.