Gloucester
Gloucester
01/31/2012 11:53 am
For what its worth my oldest student was 76
# 1
Peter vickers
Peter vickers
02/01/2012 9:08 pm
Originally Posted by: axeman81Hello UKRocker :)

From a fellow Brit and a Londoner, it's nice to see someone else from the UK at Guitar Tricks! There aren't many of us here. So, welcome and I hope you benefit as much as I do.

The 50s onwards was a great era for music and modern day rock definitely owes inspiration to back then. A few of my favourites are Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry.

We Brits need to make more of a presence felt at GT, definitely! Have fun rocking just as well as the above legends.

Michael.

Coming up 60 and wish I had started earlier, get blocks where I get frustrated and can't do what i want to do, but as everyone says, we are never told old to learn, it just takes us Longer.

I am from Leeds in the UK.

Pete
# 2
newes
newes
02/04/2012 4:58 pm
I'm turning 56 this april, playing golf and guitar 40+ years.
Your never too old for either.
Both are truly unmasterable, but what a ride !
Enjoy !
# 3
branchbrown
branchbrown
02/08/2012 4:41 pm
Thanks Guys! I have been working on Playing for about a month now. I am 37 and have been finding some of the stuff pretty hard. I was getting a little discouraged. My 14 year old son just started playing the banjo and he is progressing rapidly. I taught him how to play the piano at 10 and I have been playing for 25 years and he is better than me. So I know he has a lot more talent than me but its hard to watch him progress so quickly. (even though it does make me proud.) Your stories in this thread are so uplifting! Thanks again! Time to practice.
# 4
Saratoga Bill
Saratoga Bill
02/12/2012 12:41 am
Interesting topic. I'll join in with this. I started a couple of months ago and I'm looking closely at 70. I have arthritis in my hands and wanted something to keep my fingers moving so they don't lock up. Found fingerstyle and while it's slow going it is fun. There are some chords right now that my fingers won't let me get to but I'll keep trying to get them stretched out.

Bill
# 5
unadulterated_devin
unadulterated_devin
02/13/2012 4:50 pm
I'm really glad that I found this thread! I bought my guitar three days ago and joined the site the same day. I told the salesman at the store that I thought I was much too old to learn. I'm thirty two and it seems now like I'm rather young around here. This is in conjunction with my recent decision to attend law school when I'm done with my bachelor degree from Liberty University (online). I've always thought I was "too old" for this that or the other thing, since I was about twenty-five. Now I'm learning that you're never too old. I'm picking things up very quickly now!

Oh, did I mention that I'm also learning Italian and hope to move on to Swahili soon? My joke is that I'm having an early midlife crisis!
# 6
adir olf
adir olf
02/13/2012 6:03 pm
Hi!

see this link...
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36194

There you will find 2 cool things about age and music, a link to a science friday NPR story on this (just from last friday) AND a link to another thread by John of MT who cites a book (which happens to be what the radio story was about)
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 7
trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/20/2012 1:02 am
I'm turning 58 next month and started playing after a 30+yr lay off. I played in a few bands as a teenager and now regret not staying with it. Got married and raised a family, and now I have the time to devote to something I truly love.

Like a lot of kids, I thought I knew it all after learning enough basic chords to play a hand full of songs. Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize there's so much more to learn. I have a couple of friends who are pros and they both tell me they are still learning every day. btw- ones in his 40s and the other in his 50s.

Finding GT was the best thing I could have done! Beware of some of the online lessons, as I've found not all of them teach you the right ways.

Just another old fart member here.

Vic
# 8
patekd
patekd
02/20/2012 5:52 am
I am 47 and I started about a year ago. I had to grind out the first song and the first song with bar chords rewired a good section of my brain (ouch).
I started on another site like this one but I ran across this Guitartricks and it seems to be more complete and have more structure.

I started because I wanted something that I could do and enjoy just for me. I also needed to take my mind off of work and sitting in front of the TV never did it. I found out that when I practice it requires complete focus and the minute my mind strays back to work or anything else the guitar makes a horrible sound! That's when I know I need to focus on what I am doing and not thinking about something else.

I am not sure where this will all lead but it adds something creative and different to my life.

Darrin
# 9
jasonbench
jasonbench
02/23/2012 10:55 pm
I am 42 and just getting serious again. I started playing when I was quite young but life seemed to get in the way. I am quite rusty but I seem to appreicate it more now than I did then. Cudos to all who are starting, or starting again later in life.
# 10
Daveheart
Daveheart
03/07/2012 8:00 pm
Don't die with your music still inside you ~ Wayne Dyer
# 11
mahon25
mahon25
03/09/2012 4:12 am
whenever things seem clumsy remember once you master a few basic chords there are literally thousands of song you can play. variations of chords can come with time to add more flavor to the tune.
# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/10/2012 10:47 pm
This is a thread from another source wherin a *14-year old* asks the question, ā€œIs it too late in life..?ā€ (ā€œIā€™m too old to take it all in now.ā€) :eek: Some of the responses are equally amusing (ā€œYouā€™re too old when youā€™re dead.ā€) :)

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110828155942AA5YmbI

It seems to me that, coming from a 14-year old, the question is ridiculous. And that opens up the discussion; when does it stop being ridiculous? :) I wonder...but I think I know. :rolleyes:
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 13
gmitch1111
gmitch1111
03/11/2012 5:28 am
Never too late! I just yurned fifty last august and I am entering nursing school in the fall. Might as well pick up the guitar again and do it right this time!
# 14
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
03/23/2012 8:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ukrockerHello,Need Help

Have always wanted to play the Guitar, so I started last Christmas after my Wife got me one, "But am I Too Old, Have I left it to late" I am now 52yrs old.
I have been teaching my self with the aide of Beginners books ,
I can now play Apache, Ghost Riders in the Sky, and Wonderful Land by the Shadows,
As well as Danny Boy, But these are all basically easy , compared to cords which I am having a lot of trouble with,
But still having trouble changing from one cord to another and my right hand just forgets how to strum, will I ever be able to play or am I just to Old, Please be honest I donā€™t mind the truth, better to know than to carry on with some thing I will never be able to do or master,
Just so it helps my Taste in music and the music I would love to play is American 50s Rock & Roll / Doo Wop.
Many Thanks for any Help Keith

You are definitely not too old :) A good idea will be to get a competent teacher, it will save you a lot of trouble and frustration. I have many students that started after 50 and they are doing perfectly well.
# 15
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
03/24/2012 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: DaveheartDon't die with your music still inside you ~ Wayne Dyer

brilliant quote! my guitar teacher ones brought it up too ;)
# 16
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
03/24/2012 11:32 pm
Originally Posted by: gdengelbrechtYou are definitely not too old :) A good idea will be to get a competent teacher, it will save you a lot of trouble and frustration. I have many students that started after 50 and they are doing perfectly well.

agreed! you should really look for a good teacher! I promise you if you work hard and are motivated you will see BIG results in a short period of time! Never give up on something beautiful like making music! :)
# 17
dJleharve
dJleharve
03/25/2012 4:55 am
I have always lived with the theory that you are as young as you feel. I am in your same shoes. I'll be 55 years old in a month and My wifek new for many years that learning to playguitar has been on my bucket list. I took lessons when I was 11-12 yrs old and kick myself in the ass for not sticking with it. My wife bought me a nice guitar for Christmas 2011 and I cannot put it down. I am struggling with chord progressions though big time. I pretty much can pick and figure out songs just playing scales. and I get frustrated with chords. I thinkl the problem is I cannot remember the names of the chords I learn so when i read sheet music. I don't know where to go for the correct chords. I plan on learning until I leave this world and practice alot. I was told someday it will all click. I hope so. stick with it fellow old man and jam on.
# 18
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
03/25/2012 7:52 am
I know a guy who is 55 and started playing the guitar again after 40 years break! He is very motivated and a few months ago he had his first local gig at a Jam Session in the Pub.

Take this as an example, there are thousands of people who once thought they were too old but then found the motivation and just did it! And so can you! :)
# 19
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
03/25/2012 9:49 am
Originally Posted by: David BereutherI know a guy who is 55 and started playing the guitar again after 40 years break! He is very motivated and a few months ago he had his first local gig at a Jam Session in the Pub.

Take this as an example, there are thousands of people who once thought they were too old but then found the motivation and just did it! And so can you! :)

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.