Am I Too Old

mike.s0305
Full Access
mike.s0305
Full Access
03/17/2017 6:35 pm

I just got a guitar at Christmas and I am 67 now but feel much, much younger. One reason I have waited until now is that I thought it would give me soemthing to work towards in retirement and guess what? It does and I am lloving it! Mike

# 1
Robertneale73
Robertneale73
03/21/2017 12:50 pm

Playing the guitar doesn't require great physical strenth and a strong desire is the greatest qualification. I have been playing a little over a month and just wrote something to keep me going. Perhaps it will help someone else.

3/21/17 HOW TO BECOME AN ACCOMPLISHED GUITARIST (or achieve any other long term goal). I could buy a self improvement book and think the person very wise who would give the following advice. However, I know what to do, it just needs verbalized.

Determine whether the goal is really obtainable. The goal of becoming a brain surgeon is not, but being able to play the guitar certainly is.[br]Visualize myself as I know I will be -- the enjoyment of playing any Hymn or Gospel Song and not be embarrassed to do so for others.[br]Keep the guitar close and in sight and within reach.[br]Make it a rare day that it is not in my hand.[br]Use odd minutes, such as when waiting for the computer or printer to do a task.[br]Keep practicing what I know and in small steps, move forward by following a lesson plan -- such as GuitarTricks.[br]If I lose enthusiasm, realize this is normal for a time and keep going.[br]If I don't touch the guitar for several days, have a serious talk with myself. Do I really want to quit? (Thinking I will just rest for a time is quitting)![br]If I decide to quit -- sell the guitar and never attempt anything else that requires setting a long term goal, for I will fail in that also.[br]Frequently review the above until they are internalized and these are my 10 commandments of learning the guitar.

# 2
IstvanPetrie
IstvanPetrie
03/22/2017 9:16 am
Originally Posted by: Robertneale73

...[br]Keep the guitar close and in sight and within reach.[br]Make it a rare day that it is not in my hand.[br]Use odd minutes, such as when waiting for the computer or printer to do a task.

Great advice. This is exactly what I've found. I alway have my guitar out, on a stand and ready to play.

# 3
mteas1
mteas1
03/29/2017 2:52 pm

About the age thing. I'm 68 and started playing two years ago. I started with classes at the local guitar shop and had a really great treacher. Within six months I was playing Brown Eyed Girl, simple pentatonic scales, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (with walking bass lines, not knowing what they were), Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain and several other. I still practice those songs today and now they acually sound like music.

Early on the key word was practice. I used to think 45 minutes a day was enough but now I'm at three hours a day and its still not enough.

The other key words is FUN. Enjoy what you are doing. Its a special time.

Marty

# 4
WarrenG1
WarrenG1
04/08/2017 5:45 pm

I'm 51 and I'm not too old.

Put the guitar down and come back later.

# 5
Jon McDade
Jon McDade
04/19/2017 6:53 am

I'm 61, and I just started. It was a decision thats been decades in the making. I bought a Vintage V100 (Sunburst Tobacco) and I can't stop staring at it. This site is great! I've been at it for under two weeks and am having too much fun. Bettalatinneva :-)

# 6
miko60
Full Access
miko60
Full Access
07/08/2017 10:43 pm

Well!practice and practice and practice!!!That was post #15 i was 51 at the time,guest what i stopped!!Why you ask! first i got laid off my job for about 14 months,if it wasn't enough i lost my first wife at the age of 52 who thinks about guitar in those times,but life 's good got my job back,then fell in love couple months later,a few year down the road lost my mom!but who think about guitar in those times,but life's good i got back to guitar and now i'm 56 fell on Lisa and i most say what a coach!!I'm currently workin on the song cross the line,i'm at 86bpmfor now but i'M getting there,but i got to say thank you!!to a great teacher and that is LisaM.thank you again!!!!

# 7
robinj1000
robinj1000
10/04/2017 12:38 am

Old is bad word! We are all coming into our second, better life. I started about 2 months ago taking lessons each week. However, I went through Hurricane Irma a few weeks ago and the wife of the teacher gave my spot to someone else. I had only 4 lessons and was playing a simple version of Cripple Creek. Because of not being treated very nicely, I looked to the Web and found GuitarTricks and signed up. I am on my second evening and have been impressed with what I am learning. I had tried taking up guitar in college, but that really was to get close to the cute track star that would graduate a few months later. Many years later, I wanted to try to seriously apply myself. I am also trying to learn the Mandolin. How old am I? 64. So don't be saying that bad word around here! ;) Taking up an instrument is giving me something new to learn and enjoy. This is much better than trying to learn a new language for something different!

# 8
johnv31552
johnv31552
10/24/2017 6:48 pm

You are never too old!! I am 65, and played garage band rock in the 60's but hadn't touched a guitar in 50 years. Picked it right up anf flew through Fundamentals 1 and 2 and now going slow and learning everything in country 1. Never too old!!

# 9
Taras Androsov
Taras Androsov
10/26/2017 7:09 am

Rather than thinking about the age you start playing at think about the progress you will make. Some people who started playing in their teens can't play well in their 50s. But if you give it an honest try with a good teacher you'll make better progress in 2 years than some people do in 20-30 years of playing

P.S. The only thing I know is too late to learn in music is developing perfect pitch if you didn't develop it as a kid. But perfect pitch is useless and relative pitch can be developed at any age.

# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/26/2017 3:01 pm

This is my seventh post to this thread... sensitive much? :

Aging is inevitable... even desirable considering the alternative. But "old" is a state of mind.

Don't let "old" get in your way of playing.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11
vlazlow
Full Access
vlazlow
Full Access
11/01/2017 2:35 am

Just started with the GT course. I am working through GF1 and was stumbling around with the "Early Bird Gala" tonight (Thanks Lisa)! I will be 53 in December and am really digging learning a new skill

So, I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Now if I can only remember where I burried that bone...

# 12
rcmor00
Full Access
rcmor00
Full Access
11/04/2017 12:42 am

Hi I'm 79 and started about 2 years ago. DVD's, teachers and on-line. I feel the same way but have not given up. I also try to put in about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours a day. Been on line for about 10 months with Lisa and love it. I hope to be able to play fingerstyle some day.

# 13
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
11/04/2017 8:48 am

I am 59 and just started again. I have had many tries at being a guitarist over the years, first as a nine year old, then in my twenties, thirties and forties.

Each time I have failed. So this is my last try at making it as a rock star ;)

Seriously though, I think the 'Am I too old' question really depends on if you intend to make it as a pro and depends on the genre you choose. I am really into the heavier side of rock and blues, the trouble is at a 'certain age' when you should be starting to play with a band and all the musicians are teenagers then it's just not going to work.

So this time I am just going to be a 'bedroom' player.

On a positive note I am finding GT's structured approach is working for me so far and I am up to speed where I last left the guitar behind and working on my rhythym playing.

# 14
Bioni
Bioni
04/06/2018 9:35 am

Age is just a number!

Look at young Bob Wood here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAuLeSmcR8

Don't give yourself an excuse for not picking up or continue playing the guitar, or any other instrument for that mather :)

# 15
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2018 5:24 pm

The main point is that you enjoy it, love it.

Nobody is too old.

My father started to play ukulele at the age of 78, and now, four years later, he still plays every day and says the joy of making music has totally changed his life.

That's what it's really all about - the joy.

-Lisa McCormick, GT instructor

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 16
valigator5
valigator5
07/20/2019 3:04 pm

My dad is 86 and has been taking private guitar lessons for about 6 months. He loves it!

# 17
Vic Marc
Full Access
Vic Marc
Full Access
11/04/2019 9:25 am

I'm 53 (really). It depends. Of course we don't have much time ahaead of us like a 14 yo. Life expectancy is around 80. So knowing that to become a master you need 30 years of practice its not realistic. But If stick to it then in 2 to 3 years we can play and entertain our families maybe even try to play in a group with friends meaning all just for fun. I don't think we intend to become professional players at least I dont. But playing in a garage ( garage band yeah !) with friends would be great. Let's do this!

Learning guitar without perfect pitch but with hearing aids

# 18
Schmidtrock
Schmidtrock
11/04/2019 4:43 pm
Originally Posted by: bytetera

I'm 53 (really). It depends. Of course we don't have much time ahaead of us like a 14 yo. Life expectancy is around 80. So knowing that to become a master you need 30 years of practice its not realistic. But If stick to it then in 2 to 3 years we can play and entertain our families maybe even try to play in a group with friends meaning all just for fun. I don't think we intend to become professional players at least I dont. But playing in a garage ( garage band yeah !) with friends would be great. Let's do this!

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean
# 19
Simon Keyes
Simon Keyes
11/13/2019 9:06 am

i'm gonna be 50 in a months time ; that's a big psychological blow :)

i've also been learning the guitar from never held one to GF2 over the last 7 months ; love it.

am i too old ; nope and my goal is to get on a stage at some point and really light the place up with my playing.

if i don't make the goal, i'll have fun trying.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.