View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

Robertneale73
Robertneale73
03/21/2017 12:50 pm

Playing the guitar doesn't require great physical strenth and a strong desire is the greatest qualification. I have been playing a little over a month and just wrote something to keep me going. Perhaps it will help someone else.

3/21/17 HOW TO BECOME AN ACCOMPLISHED GUITARIST (or achieve any other long term goal). I could buy a self improvement book and think the person very wise who would give the following advice. However, I know what to do, it just needs verbalized.

Determine whether the goal is really obtainable. The goal of becoming a brain surgeon is not, but being able to play the guitar certainly is.[br]Visualize myself as I know I will be -- the enjoyment of playing any Hymn or Gospel Song and not be embarrassed to do so for others.[br]Keep the guitar close and in sight and within reach.[br]Make it a rare day that it is not in my hand.[br]Use odd minutes, such as when waiting for the computer or printer to do a task.[br]Keep practicing what I know and in small steps, move forward by following a lesson plan -- such as GuitarTricks.[br]If I lose enthusiasm, realize this is normal for a time and keep going.[br]If I don't touch the guitar for several days, have a serious talk with myself. Do I really want to quit? (Thinking I will just rest for a time is quitting)![br]If I decide to quit -- sell the guitar and never attempt anything else that requires setting a long term goal, for I will fail in that also.[br]Frequently review the above until they are internalized and these are my 10 commandments of learning the guitar.