Am I Too Old

JayA71
Full Access
JayA71
Full Access
03/27/2012 5:20 pm
Hi All,
I'm glad I found this thread! I too have had learning to play guitar on my bucket list for ages, and I finally decided to just do it. I got a new guitar (Seagull S6 Original) for my 41st birthday, and I'm nearly one week into Guitar Fundamentals 1. I love it!!

I was nervous at first--although I have always loved music, I have never played ANY instrument. But as others have mentioned, if you have the love, you're never too old!
# 1
Stephen Quinn
Stephen Quinn
04/05/2012 9:42 pm
You're never too old :) and don't be afraid to seek a great teacher to give you a hand. A lot of older players can feel embarrassed to be learning from a teacher who is younger than they are. But you'd just need to realise how well they can help you regardless of age difference :)
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2012 10:00 pm
As a guitar teacher, my very favorite students are all older than me (and I am not exactly a kid!). Here's why I love them:

For most, they are finally doing this thing for themselves that has always been in their heart. It is a beautiful energy to be around, a beautiful journey for me, as a teacher, to be invited into.

It's all about heart, a well-deserved gift to the self, love of music, AND, the courage to be a 'student' again!

In fact, here is a scenario I face not unfrequently, as I only teach 'live' lessons in my studio one day a week and have very limited openings. If I were to get an inquiry about taking lessons from the parent of a 13-year old beginner, and another inquiry from a 50-60-70+ year-old beginner (or re-beginner), I'll accept the older student every time.

Keep this conversation going - it is really wonderful!
All best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/05/2012 10:51 pm
While I encourage encouragement ( :) ), I've never taken this thread too seriously. First off, to me the question has a very obvious answer, "No!" Secondly, the overwhelming majority of those asking the question are hardly 'old.' None the less, I think this thread is important to those that let the question creep into their mind. Hopefully the testimonies here give assurance and a little push to those that need it.

But Lisa! Wow!! I'm really struck by the attitude and language used in your post. Like Dr.Hook said in, "Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Ahh, beautiful."
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
James.Erickson
James.Erickson
04/06/2012 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTWhile I encourage encouragement ( :) ), I've never taken this thread too seriously. First off, to me the question has a very obvious answer, "No!" Secondly, the overwhelming majority of those asking the question are hardly 'old.' None the less, I think this thread is important to those that let the question creep into their mind. Hopefully the testimonies here give assurance and a little push to those that need it.

But Lisa! Wow!! I'm really struck by the attitude and language used in your post. Like Dr.Hook said in, "Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Ahh, beautiful."

+1

The most powerful thing that the human being possesses is the mind: with the proper attitude it can overcome anything, with the improper attitude you will be overcome by anything.

Regards,
James
www.jamesericksonmusic.com
# 5
robbrooks101
robbrooks101
04/07/2012 7:47 am
This thread is great, I thought I was too old (41 in a couple of weeks). Turns out I'm the kid the the class !!
I'm half way through GF2, and then I can't decide if it's Blues or Country. I currently borrow my sons electric guitar, but would love one of my own. Can't go for an acoustic, as it would annoy the family to much, so am thinking about an electro-acoustic, perhaps the Yamaha apx500ii, any thoughts from people would be much appreciated.
Forgot to mention, also travel a lot on business, so can't make loads of noise in my hotel room, to this end have thought about an electric, an Apogee Jam and Garage Band on my iPhone.
# 6
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
04/07/2012 8:57 am
Originally Posted by: robbrooks101This thread is great, I thought I was too old (41 in a couple of weeks). Turns out I'm the kid the the class !!
I'm half way through GF2, and then I can't decide if it's Blues or Country. I currently borrow my sons electric guitar, but would love one of my own. Can't go for an acoustic, as it would annoy the family to much, so am thinking about an electro-acoustic, perhaps the Yamaha apx500ii, any thoughts from people would be much appreciated.
Forgot to mention, also travel a lot on business, so can't make loads of noise in my hotel room, to this end have thought about an electric, an Apogee Jam and Garage Band on my iPhone.

You get some great small effects units which you can run through headphones and totally rock out in the Hotel room :)
# 7
robbrooks101
robbrooks101
04/07/2012 9:13 am
Thanks for that, any suggestions for a good value electric ?
# 8
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
04/07/2012 9:35 am
Originally Posted by: robbrooks101Thanks for that, any suggestions for a good value electric ?

For me Ibanez has always been a perfect fit - good quality for a good price :) There are obviously other great gear, maybe speak to someone at Guitar Center and think about it a little.
# 9
robbrooks101
robbrooks101
04/07/2012 4:23 pm
Many thanks
# 10
Neiles335
Neiles335
04/14/2012 1:28 am
Originally Posted by: robbrooks101Thanks for that, any suggestions for a good value electric ?

If you''re looking for a really hot guitar at a great price, check out the Fender Strat Made in Mexico models. Very well made, very playable, look excellent and cost under $500. brand new with case (in Canada; probably about $400.USD) Fender Squire combo kits including guitar, gib bag, strap, some lessons and an excellent GDEC amp is a good way to go too for under $350 bucks for the whole lot! The guitar quality isnt as good as the MIM Strat, but the amp is a great practise amp with a dozen amp modelling sounds, 10 watts, plenty for at home use (the neighbours wont call the cops or you wife threaten to leave!) happy playing...
# 11
ricky50
ricky50
04/14/2012 6:22 am
I am 50' although I have played for a while
I have found that you really need to find you stride, take the best of what you can do with your cover pieces learned and begin cashing the stuff that speaks and feels good when you play. Pick a key and chord formation and let those skills creep in to find your comfort zone. As soon as you get a zone rolling start moving outside of it. The guitar is for everyone, you are only limited by you own uncertainty, dudes are playing without hands,feet and arms! Keep on keeping on!!!!
# 12
robbrooks101
robbrooks101
04/14/2012 7:23 am
On the subject of guitar choice, I went to my local music store yesterday and fell in love with an electro-acoustic Yamaha APX 500ii, think I will treat myself as soon as I complete GF2.
# 13
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
04/15/2012 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCAs a guitar teacher, my very favorite students are all older than me (and I am not exactly a kid!). Here's why I love them:

For most, they are finally doing this thing for themselves that has always been in their heart. It is a beautiful energy to be around, a beautiful journey for me, as a teacher, to be invited into.

It's all about heart, a well-deserved gift to the self, love of music, AND, the courage to be a 'student' again!

In fact, here is a scenario I face not unfrequently, as I only teach 'live' lessons in my studio one day a week and have very limited openings. If I were to get an inquiry about taking lessons from the parent of a 13-year old beginner, and another inquiry from a 50-60-70+ year-old beginner (or re-beginner), I'll accept the older student every time.

Keep this conversation going - it is really wonderful!
All best wishes, Lisa

Good stuff, Lisa! For me it is exactly the same. My best students are all above the 30 or 40, often they have a lot more energy because many of them really made a decision and really WANT TO PLAY! often teenagers (not all!) tend to be more like "hey, let's try how this might turn out" while older students often really know that they want it and how they want it.

Keep the posts going, this can be very valuable for many guitar players! :)
# 14
EasyEd48
EasyEd48
04/16/2012 12:34 am
Hey All,

First post so I'll jump in here...

I'm 57 and so maybe I'm too old? But I don't think so. Here's why...

I've never played guitar before but I have a son who has for over 10 years (he's 18) and is now basically a metal head. I thought if I go ahead and start giving this guitar thing a whirl we would have more to talk about and he could help me with some other kinds of music. Just yesterday he bought a 2003 I think ESP LTD Flying V Dave Mustaine (who is he?) signature model from a guy sacrificing it as he is moving to Australia and can't take all his "babies" with him. Ugly as sin to me though but I did get a new pick out of the deal and I knew enough ahead of time to ask about pickups and such.

But before you start thinking I'm not really into guitar let me tell you a bit about myself. I have always loved music. For years when I was young it was actually all about dancing swing mostly but I also did folk, square, contra and all kinds of social from waltz to samba and everything in between. Used to enter contests and all but now I find most women my age don't like to be flipped upside down so I thought lets get up on stage instead of in front of it. I also mess around on harmonica and spent a few years on mandolin as I love bluegrass and country. I took mando lessons and I still remember my first one - the first teacher who also taught my son guitar and my daughter fiddle (not violin) looked at me and said Ed guitar is a lot lot easier - but I went with the mando as my daughter was doing fiddle and my son was just barely starting guitar. I still mess around with the mando but want to do guitar too as there are other music styles that I love that don't use mando much. My tastes cross a number of genres but the basic rule seems to be - simple and melodic - if you can dance to it I'll probably like it - complicated and "noisy" I probably won't. To illustrate I'm not big on classical or jazz or complicated blues but love bluegrass, country, country rock and country blues, folk, cajun, zydeco, french canadian and I'll call it "low gain" rock modern or old like 50s, 60s rock and rockabilly and do wop and surf. There is even metal that I like - folk metal that is.

So much to the disgust of my son who wanted me to buy a Epiphone Les Paul or some Ibanez model since he wanted them and figured I'd quit so he would inherit - I bought a Gretsch ProJet with filtertrons and a Bigsby. I've an old Crate Taxi amp I used as a PA and am borrowing my sons first Fender G-Dec as he has moved on and that is what I got to work with although I've got my eye on a Bugera V5 for fun and a Boss Br-80 for mobile headphone practice. I have noticed that when I have my son show me something on my ProJet he doesn't put it down very fast - I am certain he likes it more than he is willing to admit.

I'm barely beginning but am finding that yes the guitar is easier but different - my fingers are not used to all the real estate on the fret board and there are more strings. I've a lot to learn as a guitar is not in fifths like a mando or fiddle but I am enjoying it - so much to learn - you never see an amp in true acoustic bluegrass.

First I'll apologise for the rambling but to me the point is that if you love music and want to make music it doesn't matter how old you are - I think you can learn enough to know where when and how you can "fit in" to any musical setting and enjoy it. For me I'll probably never "shred" at the speed my son can just like on a mando I'll never have the speed of Chris Thile but even as a beginner on mando I had a great time just jammin at my daughters fiddle camps only knowing two finger chords for a while. I'll enjoy guitar as well for as far as my abilities at this age will take me. You can too.

-Ed-
# 15
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
04/17/2012 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: EasyEd48Hey All,

I've never played guitar before but I have a son who has for over 10 years (he's 18) and is now basically a metal head. I thought if I go ahead and start giving this guitar thing a whirl we would have more to talk about and he could help me with some other kinds of music. Just yesterday he bought a 2003 I think ESP LTD Flying V Dave Mustaine (who is he?) signature model from a guy sacrificing it as he is moving to Australia and can't take all his "babies" with him. Ugly as sin to me though but I did get a new pick out of the deal and I knew enough ahead of time to ask about pickups and such.

But before you start thinking I'm not really into guitar let me tell you a bit about myself. I have always loved music. For years when I was young it was actually all about dancing swing mostly but I also did folk, square, contra and all kinds of social from waltz to samba and everything in between. Used to enter contests and all but now I find most women my age don't like to be flipped upside down so I thought lets get up on stage instead of in front of it. I also mess around on harmonica and spent a few years on mandolin as I love bluegrass and country. I took mando lessons and I still remember my first one - the first teacher who also taught my son guitar and my daughter fiddle (not violin) looked at me and said Ed guitar is a lot lot easier - but I went with the mando as my daughter was doing fiddle and my son was just barely starting guitar. I still mess around with the mando but want to do guitar too as there are other music styles that I love that don't use mando much. My tastes cross a number of genres but the basic rule seems to be - simple and melodic - if you can dance to it I'll probably like it - complicated and "noisy" I probably won't. To illustrate I'm not big on classical or jazz or complicated blues but love bluegrass, country, country rock and country blues, folk, cajun, zydeco, french canadian and I'll call it "low gain" rock modern or old like 50s, 60s rock and rockabilly and do wop and surf. There is even metal that I like - folk metal that is.

So much to the disgust of my son who wanted me to buy a Epiphone Les Paul or some Ibanez model since he wanted them and figured I'd quit so he would inherit - I bought a Gretsch ProJet with filtertrons and a Bigsby. I've an old Crate Taxi amp I used as a PA and am borrowing my sons first Fender G-Dec as he has moved on and that is what I got to work with although I've got my eye on a Bugera V5 for fun and a Boss Br-80 for mobile headphone practice. I have noticed that when I have my son show me something on my ProJet he doesn't put it down very fast - I am certain he likes it more than he is willing to admit.

I'm barely beginning but am finding that yes the guitar is easier but different - my fingers are not used to all the real estate on the fret board and there are more strings. I've a lot to learn as a guitar is not in fifths like a mando or fiddle but I am enjoying it - so much to learn - you never see an amp in true acoustic bluegrass.

First I'll apologise for the rambling but to me the point is that if you love music and want to make music it doesn't matter how old you are - I think you can learn enough to know where when and how you can "fit in" to any musical setting and enjoy it. For me I'll probably never "shred" at the speed my son can just like on a mando I'll never have the speed of Chris Thile but even as a beginner on mando I had a great time just jammin at my daughters fiddle camps only knowing two finger chords for a while. I'll enjoy guitar as well for as far as my abilities at this age will take me. You can too.

-Ed-

very cool :) if you put the time in it you WILL be a great player, no matter how old you are!
# 16
James Sheasgreen
James Sheasgreen
04/17/2012 11:00 pm
Originally Posted by: EasyEd48Hey All,

-Ed-

What really matters is your drive to succeed
# 17
Rafnarch
Rafnarch
05/12/2012 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: James SheasgreenWhat really matters is your drive to succeed

Hi Everyone
Seeing that Ed was brave enough to jump in I may as well jump in also and say hello to you all. Iā€™m 53 this birthday (not too far away sadly) and I am loving learning to play my Guitar itā€™s so cool to learn new things even if itā€™s a bigger challenge than I thought it would be, once you start to make a noise that resembles something you recognise you just fall in love with that guitar and it makes me come back for more. Like everyone else my fingers hurt, I canā€™t do bar cords yet and my neck hurts from trying to see what Iā€™m doing but I just love it. Who cares about age and are we having fun! I know I am. I play a Maton M225.
# 18
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
05/12/2012 8:54 am
I pretend to die playing guitar. Literally.

How old are Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Malcom and Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Chuck Berry?

Enjoy.
:) Azzi.

Be kool and stay free.
# 19
macRocker
Full Access
macRocker
Full Access
05/12/2012 12:31 pm
I'll put me 2 cents in as well, at 57 I picked up the guitar am now turning 60 in oct this yr. I have tried everything, but have progressed to the point where I can play songs. This site blew me away with the vast amount of knowledge and expertise from the instructors, so I'm starting from the beginning and have picked up several things I didn't know before. I just joined yesterday, and am almost finished with level 1. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I am looking forward to retiring soon and have made my plans to make music for me and my wifes enjoyment. She used to play piano, and I want to buy her one so we can play together. I absolutely love this site and am sorry that I didn't find Guitar Tricks 1st.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.