View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

David Bereuther
David Bereuther
04/15/2012 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCAs a guitar teacher, my very favorite students are all older than me (and I am not exactly a kid!). Here's why I love them:

For most, they are finally doing this thing for themselves that has always been in their heart. It is a beautiful energy to be around, a beautiful journey for me, as a teacher, to be invited into.

It's all about heart, a well-deserved gift to the self, love of music, AND, the courage to be a 'student' again!

In fact, here is a scenario I face not unfrequently, as I only teach 'live' lessons in my studio one day a week and have very limited openings. If I were to get an inquiry about taking lessons from the parent of a 13-year old beginner, and another inquiry from a 50-60-70+ year-old beginner (or re-beginner), I'll accept the older student every time.

Keep this conversation going - it is really wonderful!
All best wishes, Lisa

Good stuff, Lisa! For me it is exactly the same. My best students are all above the 30 or 40, often they have a lot more energy because many of them really made a decision and really WANT TO PLAY! often teenagers (not all!) tend to be more like "hey, let's try how this might turn out" while older students often really know that they want it and how they want it.

Keep the posts going, this can be very valuable for many guitar players! :)