Difference between GT Lesson and the way the artist plays the song.

marksd2167
Full Access
marksd2167
Full Access
05/05/2023 3:11 pm

I'm just curious about why GT lessons, just for example "Living after Midnight" by Judas Priest. The song is taught differently from the way the guitarest in the band play it. I"m working on this song right now. I've noticed other youtubes "mostly" play it like it is from the band. But on GT, it's different.

Is there a reason why? oh and this is not a "made easy" version. At least it's not noted as a "made easy" version.

Mark.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/05/2023 5:14 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

I'm just curious about why GT lessons, just for example "Living after Midnight" by Judas Priest. The song is taught differently from the way the guitarest in the band play it. I"m working on this song right now. I've noticed other youtubes "mostly" play it like it is from the band. But on GT, it's different.

Is there a reason why? oh and this is not a "made easy" version. At least it's not noted as a "made easy" version.

Mark.

Personally I haven't seen this yet. But I'm curious what you are seeing. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
marksd2167
Full Access
marksd2167
Full Access
05/05/2023 7:19 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Personally I haven't seen this yet. But I'm curious what you are seeing. 

I only know this of two Lessons as I have only worked on these two lessons. 

The one I'm on now, Living after Midnight. First let me say, I don't have a issue with this lesson. I'm only stating the difference between this lesson and the way the band member plays it. But not just the band member Richie Faulkner, but I see other youtube people also playing very close to what Richie Faulkner is playing. I totally understand there is different ways to play the same song. I'm just curious as to why GT decided to pick this way to do it.

You can look up the lesson Living after Midnight here on GT, mainly referencing the opening riff.

Here is a link to Richie Faulkner playing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yK_yxI7AlU&t=51s   It starts at time code 25:45

Just an FYI, I like GT, but some times on these older lessons, I'll get stuck on something, ether because I can't see what the other hand is doing or I just can't tell or see exactly how the strumming is going. So I'll look at other sources and see the differences between GT and others.

Right now, the part I'm getting stuck at is Lesson - Living after Midnight, part-Rolling through the Changes. At time marker 2:35. 

I'm thinking my issue is a combination of the tone I'm using (maybe to much gain) and I'm just not strumming the notes correctly.

Mark.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/05/2023 8:15 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

The one I'm on now, Living after Midnight. First let me say, I don't have a issue with this lesson. I'm only stating the difference between this lesson and the way the band member plays it. But not just the band member Richie Faulkner, but I see other youtube people also playing very close to what Richie Faulkner is playing. I totally understand there is different ways to play the same song. I'm just curious as to why GT decided to pick this way to do it.

You can look up the lesson Living after Midnight here on GT, mainly referencing the opening riff.

Here is a link to Richie Faulkner playing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yK_yxI7AlU&t=51s   It starts at time code 25:45

Just an FYI, I like GT, but some times on these older lessons, I'll get stuck on something, ether because I can't see what the other hand is doing or I just can't tell or see exactly how the strumming is going. So I'll look at other sources and see the differences between GT and others.

Right now, the part I'm getting stuck at is Lesson - Living after Midnight, part-Rolling through the Changes. At time marker 2:35. 

I'm thinking my issue is a combination of the tone I'm using (maybe to much gain) and I'm just not strumming the notes correctly.

Mark.

Interesting. I just watched the 1st few seconds and Ritchie does play it differently. Could be the thought line was keep a tighter box between 5 and 7. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
05/05/2023 9:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

Mark.

In answer to the general question in your subject header, song lessons (other than "made easy" versions) across the board on GT are individual ear interpretations by the presenting instructor of what could be one of several different recorded versions possibly cross referenced to a sheet music publication. As such the degree of complexity varies. Said song presentation may be modified to include a single guitar version, or not, or be taught purely as such without necessarily being made easy per se -in fact harder in playing the adaptation with both the lead fills and rhythm. e.g. Since depublished on GT "She Loves You" as taught by Dave Celentano. 

The original artist themselves may and often or usually do play the song differently live than on the radio release 45 recording (back in the day) or today's streaming recording where the largesse of double tracking, overdubs and all the time in the world for several takes and mixing individual tracks is available.

So it's the norm rather than unusual to find the version presented by the instructor here on GT will vary significantly from the original artist's recorded versions. Examples abound. They can sound OK to pretty good playing in a pub cover band where most boozed up punters wouldn't notice or care. But if you want as replicate as closely to an original recorded track as live playing will permit, one needs to look elsewhere for someone who is a study of the artist or who has done a study of the recording and is an attention to detail pedant. By way of example

e.g. "Revolution" as taught on GT vs "Revolution" live by the OA (not a capo in sight), and as taught by Andy.

edited
# 5
dougguitar
Full Access
dougguitar
Full Access
05/05/2023 9:35 pm

Bear in mind, also, that the lesson is mostly likely based on the original 1980 studio version of Living After Midnight. At that time, the band's guitarists were KK Downing and Glenn Tipton. Richie Faulkner was literally born in 1980. Therefore, the way he plays it live is possibly different from how it was played by the original guitarists in the studio in 1980.

Looking at it ,though, I guess the difference you're referring to is playing the A and B power chords at 5th and 7th position, rather than down at 2nd position the way Faulkner demonstrates? It's possible, of course, to play the exact same notes in either version, with only slight tonal differences that might not be noticed with a higher gain sound anyway.

I have found some teachers do make use of available videos to help cross reference how the original artist played various parts. This particular lesson, though, is one of the older ones here, having been published in 2009. That's only 4 years after YouTube launched, so there may not have been that much Judas Priest video uploaded to research at that point, anyway.

# 6
marksd2167
Full Access
marksd2167
Full Access
05/06/2023 12:19 am
#6 Originally Posted by: dougguitar

Bear in mind, also, that the lesson is mostly likely based on the original 1980 studio version of Living After Midnight. At that time, the band's guitarists were KK Downing and Glenn Tipton. Richie Faulkner was literally born in 1980. Therefore, the way he plays it live is possibly different from how it was played by the original guitarists in the studio in 1980.

Looking at it ,though, I guess the difference you're referring to is playing the A and B power chords at 5th and 7th position, rather than down at 2nd position the way Faulkner demonstrates? It's possible, of course, to play the exact same notes in either version, with only slight tonal differences that might not be noticed with a higher gain sound anyway.

I have found some teachers do make use of available videos to help cross reference how the original artist played various parts. This particular lesson, though, is one of the older ones here, having been published in 2009. That's only 4 years after YouTube launched, so there may not have been that much Judas Priest video uploaded to research at that point, anyway.

You guys are absolutely correct in everything you said. I seem to keep forgetting how old this song is (and me) lol. With the internet, YouTube and how much information we have available today.

I’m just grateful for GT and everyone that takes the time to post videos of how to play guitar. I'd be so lost without them.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my post and your insight on my question.

# 7
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
05/06/2023 11:32 am

When Curtis Lowe was available, I remember Mike saying in the beginning of the video that there were a few layers of guitars and he was picking out the best parts. The slide parts he chose were legendary to the original song.  And of course, BINGO, he nailed it as he always does. But DARN, it’s gone now!

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2023 2:44 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

Mark.

To answer the original question GT instructors typically do the best they can with whatever resources are available:  live videos or official "canned" videos, authorized notation-tab books, just plain old figuring it out by ear.

On some of the older videos the production wasn't as good without multi-cam angles.  This is one reason GT tried to continually reshoot older material with updated production standards when it was possible.  Other times there were judgement calls or creative license decisions made by the instructor to get the lesson done in the most effective way possible.  For example if there were multiple overlapping guitars in an original recording, but the instructor was trying to make a logical composite path through the song to teach it.

Addressing this specific song lesson, it's an interesting case because I don't think either of them are entirely correct (GT's Douglas or Richie).

If you listen to the original version you'll hear there are 2 guitars.  Makes sense as JP was a 2 guitar band.  On most of the verse you can clearly hear one guitar emphasizing the upbeats of the E power chord rooted at the 7th fret.  This is what Douglas does, but Richie does not.

And you also hear another guitar playing the low E palm muted 1/8th note chugging in between each E power chord.  Douglas does not do this, but Richie does.

My best guess is that these parts were split amongst the 2 guitar players in JP.  And only one of them is Richie's role when he plays with the band.  Douglas might have left this part out thinking the other part was more crucial to the song or prominent in the mix.  Obviously I can't answer directly for him, so I don't know for sure.

I'm guessing if this lesson was reshot present day it would contain 2 separate guitar parts.  But if you are a single guitarist (alone or in a band) you'll have to make the call as to which part you want to play.  You can play either part.  Or you could make a kind of combination of the two.

Hope that helps.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 9
marksd2167
Full Access
marksd2167
Full Access
05/08/2023 2:08 am
#9 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

To answer the original question GT instructors typically do the best they can with whatever resources are available:  live videos or official "canned" videos, authorized notation-tab books, just plain old figuring it out by ear.

On some of the older videos the production wasn't as good without multi-cam angles.  This is one reason GT tried to continually reshoot older material with updated production standards when it was possible.  Other times there were judgement calls or creative license decisions made by the instructor to get the lesson done in the most effective way possible.  For example if there were multiple overlapping guitars in an original recording, but the instructor was trying to make a logical composite path through the song to teach it.

Addressing this specific song lesson, it's an interesting case because I don't think either of them are entirely correct (GT's Douglas or Richie).

If you listen to the original version you'll hear there are 2 guitars.  Makes sense as JP was a 2 guitar band.  On most of the verse you can clearly hear one guitar emphasizing the upbeats of the E power chord rooted at the 7th fret.  This is what Douglas does, but Richie does not.

And you also hear another guitar playing the low E palm muted 1/8th note chugging in between each E power chord.  Douglas does not do this, but Richie does.

My best guess is that these parts were split amongst the 2 guitar players in JP.  And only one of them is Richie's role when he plays with the band.  Douglas might have left this part out thinking the other part was more crucial to the song or prominent in the mix.  Obviously I can't answer directly for him, so I don't know for sure.

I'm guessing if this lesson was reshot present day it would contain 2 separate guitar parts.  But if you are a single guitarist (alone or in a band) you'll have to make the call as to which part you want to play.  You can play either part.  Or you could make a kind of combination of the two.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Christopher for taking the time to reply. Yes this explains it all and makes since. Just so everyone understands. I don't have a issue with the say Douglas is teaching the lesson. To be honest, since I'm a beginner, I feel like it's a easier version anyway. 

Speaking of being a beginner. I know this lesson was done about 14 years ago and in case it's not being done know, I would like to make a suggestion about lessons. One, before the lesson starts, could the instructor mention what amp/gear they are using and what the settings are. If they are using the bridge and what is the volume and tone set at. This is just to give the person a idea of what they should set their equipment up as. I now not everyone has the same gear, but it's just information.

Second, if they could explain or go into a little bit more instruction on areas that are a little more complicated. 

Maybe this is all being done on newer and current lessons and I just haven't seen them yet.

Thanks again.

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2023 11:14 am
#10 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

Thanks Christopher for taking the time to reply. Yes this explains it all and makes since. Just so everyone understands. I don't have a issue with the say Douglas is teaching the lesson. To be honest, since I'm a beginner, I feel like it's a easier version anyway. 

Speaking of being a beginner. I know this lesson was done about 14 years ago and in case it's not being done know, I would like to make a suggestion about lessons. One, before the lesson starts, could the instructor mention what amp/gear they are using and what the settings are. If they are using the bridge and what is the volume and tone set at. This is just to give the person a idea of what they should set their equipment up as. I now not everyone has the same gear, but it's just information.

Second, if they could explain or go into a little bit more instruction on areas that are a little more complicated. 

Maybe this is all being done on newer and current lessons and I just haven't seen them yet.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!  Yes, if this song was reshot it would probably contain 3 additional items.

Gear & Tone lesson.  This has been a standard second lesson of most song tutorials for a while now when an electric guitar is used in the song.

2nd guitar part breakdown.  Again when a song features a second prominent guitar in the mix of the version being taught.

Multi-camera angles.  Fretting hand, picking hand closeups.  Again this has been an established standard for a while.

Unfortunately this particular song tutorial was shot 14 years ago before any of those were standard GT protocol.

I don't know how the current publishing situation affects this particular song as to whether or not, or if it will ever be reshot.

Hope that helps!   

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 11
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
05/11/2023 11:09 am
Interestingly enough, I read an interview years ago, with Joe Walsh talking about when other guitarists cover his songs. He said he’s always surprised at how much they over think the songs. He basically said in particular, Funk 49 is a simple songs to play but so much has been added to that simplicity. 

When I learn songs from GT, I try to understand the idea of the guitarist’s runs and go from there. Another example is Tim McGraw’s All I Want. When Mike O teaches the solo he tells us this is what HE hears etc, etc. And of course he’s spot on, as I’ve heard this song a million years times (?!), and NOW I get to play this classic. Btw, it’s still up in songs and as much as i bemoan the fact that so many songs are gone, I went back and did a search of any song I could recall from GT that I either learned or always wanted to learn; thankfully there are still many left. This, along with the amazing teachers,  is more of the reasons I’ll stay with GT. 

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.