View post (Difference between GT Lesson and the way the artist plays the song.)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/05/2023 9:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: marksd2167

I'm just curious about why GT lessons, just for example "Living after Midnight" by Judas Priest. The song is taught differently from the way the guitarest in the band play it. I"m working on this song right now. I've noticed other youtubes "mostly" play it like it is from the band. But on GT, it's different.

Is there a reason why? oh and this is not a "made easy" version. At least it's not noted as a "made easy" version.

Mark.

In answer to the general question in your subject header, song lessons (other than "made easy" versions) across the board on GT are individual ear interpretations by the presenting instructor of what could be one of several different recorded versions possibly cross referenced to a sheet music publication. As such the degree of complexity varies. Said song presentation may be modified to include a single guitar version, or not, or be taught purely as such without necessarily being made easy per se -in fact harder in playing the adaptation with both the lead fills and rhythm. e.g. Since depublished on GT "She Loves You" as taught by Dave Celentano. 

The original artist themselves may and often or usually do play the song differently live than on the radio release 45 recording (back in the day) or today's streaming recording where the largesse of double tracking, overdubs and all the time in the world for several takes and mixing individual tracks is available.

So it's the norm rather than unusual to find the version presented by the instructor here on GT will vary significantly from the original artist's recorded versions. Examples abound. They can sound OK to pretty good playing in a pub cover band where most boozed up punters wouldn't notice or care. But if you want as replicate as closely to an original recorded track as live playing will permit, one needs to look elsewhere for someone who is a study of the artist or who has done a study of the recording and is an attention to detail pedant. By way of example

e.g. "Revolution" as taught on GT vs "Revolution" live by the OA (not a capo in sight), and as taught by Andy.

edited