My wife did lose it ...

manXcat
manXcat
03/03/2020 1:01 am

Kind of....but she's a great gal! I did it.

So, it's NEW GUITAR TIME!

[br]After lusting after one of these for the past 18 months, I pulled the trigger. First electric guitar buy in more than 12 months, so my regular attendance at GAS Anonymous meetings -chaired by my Mrs manXcat, clearly has my [u]alleged[/u] addiction under control.

So what did I buy?

This!

Took delivery of it last week.

Blown away would best describe my impression of Revstar's current build quality, quality control and finish. Gauging from this random representation, Yamaha finally have those QC and finish problems of the past couple of years which had been occurring in their Indonesian factory sorted...or I just got lucky?!

Rather than wax lyrically for an age, those with sufficient interest can read more here.

I'll post an in studio posed aesthetic shot of my new joy toy in its working environment shortly.

How it can sound in more capable hands than mine here. N.B Jack has swapped the OEM YGDVH3+s for MAMA PUPs in his. Although the YGDVH3+s are perfect for what I want and expect of it, if I change my mind, the RS420 is the ideal 'pick your PUP preference' upgrade platform AFAIC.

[br]And how it sounds with OEM PUPs ..Jonny Lee rippin' it here.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/03/2020 2:06 am

Very nice manX. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Enjoy!

Edit: just read your write up. The Mayan Gold must be beautiful beyond what a picture can show. Again, enjoy!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/03/2020 3:43 pm

We have a household budget (unlike most Americans, I suppose). Within that budget is allocation of money to each of us... 'our own' money to do with what we please.

The past decade I bought guitars, she bought horses. There was no reaction from either of us 'cept maybe some rolling of eyes.

On the other hand, I frequently pet her horses but I've never caught her caressing my guitars.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
manXcat
manXcat
03/03/2020 4:32 pm

Not an issue in this household that wasn't sorted between us 45 years ago. More a case of womens' vs mens' logic and hyperbole for a headline. Or should the new TV come out of her or my budget based upon the greater percentile of personal viewing, or do we divide it up and split the cost pro rata?

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/03/2020 6:58 pm

First, manX, that guitar looks awesome. I noticed that model some time back and it's a really good looking guitar and appears to be a player. I haven't played one but feedback on it seems to be pretty good. Just a little jealous (in the most positive way) but I suppose I have enough to heal that wound ...

As for the wife, she's a huge music lover so the 'barrier to new guitar entry' is lower than average. It also doesn't hurt that she's in week two in to learning to play herself.

Still, she's not at all beyond the 'eye roll'.

Over the weekend, we were in Macon Georgia and went to the Allman Brothers 'The Big House' museum and there was Warren Haynes Gibson Firebird in a glass case. I said to my wife that 'this one's on the list'. She laughed and said; 'I start worrying when you start showing me pictures and asking me what I think'. She knows me. That's the start of the 'pining for it' stage. Which leads down the road to.................

But I'm good (for now).

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2020 12:37 am

Thanks Jeff. The RS420 has an 'interesting' neck profile.. Chunkier than my Harley Benton SC-Custom, which I really really like. Very full "C". It reminds me of my AF510 acoustic neck profile. I think a lot of people would like its neck.

Your relationship with your wife sounds very like mine ....with my wife. 🐵

After all this time, she knows my every move before I utter a word. I try not forewarn with those cues you mention. Found fait accompli works best for me. i.e. My RG500 tale of a few months ago, every word of which was true. She's been a stalwart and champion though. Always inwardly terrified of 'will I come home' over the course of my career of riskier flying jobs (mil & later trans-oceanic ferry and ag. the latter better than being unemployed-just) and riding motorcycles like the RG & RGV, but knew and accepted it was an unalterable intrinsic aspect of being me. I don't know that I would have coped worrying about her in that regard anywhere near as well. Love her to bits, more now even than the beautiful young woman I fell in love with the moment I laid eyes upon her 45 years ago.

I used a headline hyperbole figuring it would garner views. That worked. Not many replies/responses though. I'll have to work on my superficially glib throwaway ego invitational one liners. 🙈🙉🙊

# 6
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2020 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: john of MT

The past decade I bought guitars, she bought horses. ...snip

On the other hand, I frequently pet her horses ...snip

[p]

I'm envious of where you live john of MT. Love mountains. A beautiful part of the world, and America. In the course of a couple of working stints in the US over the years, I've seen most of it courtesy of the means provided by what I used to do.

I'll let you in on a secret and a regret. I've [u]never[/u] ridden a horse. Never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane either, but never had any desire too even offered lots of oppportunity. Dropped lots of those adrenaline junkies over the years though. Riding horses on the other hand, does really appeal to me, so I get where your wife is coming from. In my imagination, at full gallop I think it'd be like riding a cross-country on a dirt bike with a will and mind of its own. My paternal grandfather was an expert horseman, a Huszar in his younger years, but come 1915 the machine gun, static trench warfare & artillery put an end to that even in the reconiassance role. Too late and too expensive to start with all the agistment, veterinary and stabling of a horse now unfortunately.

# 7
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2020 1:53 am

Thanks William MG. Image/s soon. Subjective of course, I think the elegantly understated Maya Gold scheme is as you describe it.

That first video link in my initial post is very representative though, except the binding to body colour contrast is more accenuated IRL The neck and body back are a very dark reddish brown gloss which possibly doesn't illustrate well except to the naked eye.

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/04/2020 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: john of MT

The past decade I bought guitars, she bought horses. ...snip

On the other hand, I frequently pet her horses ...snip

[p]

I'm envious of where you live john of MT. Love mountains. A beautiful part of the world, and America. In the course of a couple of working stints in the US over the years, I've seen most of it courtesy of the means provided by what I used to do.

I'll let you in on a secret and a regret. I've [u]never[/u] ridden a horse. Never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane either, but never had any desire too even offered lots of oppportunity. Dropped lots of those adrenaline junkies over the years though. Riding horses on the other hand, does really appeal to me, so I get where your wife is coming from. In my imagination, at full gallop I think it'd be like riding a cross-country on a dirt bike with a will and mind of its own. My paternal grandfather was an expert horseman, a Huszar in his younger years, but come 1915 the machine gun, static trench warfare & artillery put an end to that even in the reconiassance role. Too late and too expensive to start with all the agistment, veterinary and stabling of a horse now unfortunately.

We have some similar background and yet unfinished lists. Being a military brat and then spending more than a quarter century in the military myself I've done some traveling. Still on my list but seemingly a long time off is Australia. Some day. Meanwhile, I got to Montana as soon as I could. I need the mountains and I want significant differences between the seasons.

I had My Lady sit down and read your response above. Being of Polish extract, she was familiar with term, Huzar. She like me, needs the mountains. She also flew, but privately and for fun.

If you ever make it to western Montana she can teach you about horses, you can teach me about guitars.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
03/05/2020 5:46 am

Now that's reall sweet congrats man 😎🍾

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.