john of MT
Full Access
03/04/2020 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: john of MT

The past decade I bought guitars, she bought horses. ...snip

On the other hand, I frequently pet her horses ...snip

[p]

I'm envious of where you live john of MT. Love mountains. A beautiful part of the world, and America. In the course of a couple of working stints in the US over the years, I've seen most of it courtesy of the means provided by what I used to do.

I'll let you in on a secret and a regret. I've [u]never[/u] ridden a horse. Never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane either, but never had any desire too even offered lots of oppportunity. Dropped lots of those adrenaline junkies over the years though. Riding horses on the other hand, does really appeal to me, so I get where your wife is coming from. In my imagination, at full gallop I think it'd be like riding a cross-country on a dirt bike with a will and mind of its own. My paternal grandfather was an expert horseman, a Huszar in his younger years, but come 1915 the machine gun, static trench warfare & artillery put an end to that even in the reconiassance role. Too late and too expensive to start with all the agistment, veterinary and stabling of a horse now unfortunately.

We have some similar background and yet unfinished lists. Being a military brat and then spending more than a quarter century in the military myself I've done some traveling. Still on my list but seemingly a long time off is Australia. Some day. Meanwhile, I got to Montana as soon as I could. I need the mountains and I want significant differences between the seasons.

I had My Lady sit down and read your response above. Being of Polish extract, she was familiar with term, Huzar. She like me, needs the mountains. She also flew, but privately and for fun.

If you ever make it to western Montana she can teach you about horses, you can teach me about guitars.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins