Fundamental 1 before moving to next chapter

Violanted
Violanted
11/14/2021 3:08 pm

Hey Dear Guitartricks folks

Atm I'm at 41% fundamental 1 and I have learnt so far a bunch of basic songs during the advancing including 3 basic scales G F C Major, and so far I am doing really well I am spending an average of 60 maybe 90 minutes a day sometime more this fluctuate.

There is one concern though so far I am trying to practice every time I start, everything I learnt, so far that means about 7 basic songs, well they not really songs they are just a very basic melody or chord progressions, I learnt 5 basic simple chords G G7 C E Am and now I am learning a song that includes a melody on the fith string A and basically every time I have done the same and is a great method to progress in a very solid way.

The question is while practicing all the stuff I learnt so far since day one it takes time and by the time I finish to just practice what was mastered the 90 mins are over.

I spend 10 mins at each scale and every time I increase the speed ascending and desacending. I spend also 10 mins each basic song if you sum all up there is already 90 mins

I think this is a bit wrong and I shouldn't practice so much what was mastered, but I am afraid tyhat if I don't then i forget what I learnt.

However I think is better to leave some stuff behind and concentrate more on the prgress of new lessons?

Thanks

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
11/14/2021 7:52 pm

Hello,

This is just my opinion and I am no expert as I am still learning myself and have faced similar problems.

If I had an hour per day to dedicate to practicing (currently I only have about 30 minutes so I envy you!) I would prioritize the new material. For example, if you have an hour you could dedicate half the time (30 minutes) to new material and the other 30 minutes for revisiting some of the skills you have already mastered. Instead of going through everything you have mastered, you can pick a portion and revisit it. Lets say instead of running through all the scales and all 7 songs you pick a 2 scales and 1 song/melody. The next day focus on 2 other scales and another song/melody.

This would allow you to focus more on new material and still revisit some of the material. Also, a lot of the new material will eventually revist the concepts you have already learned so that foundation will essentially be applied while learning the new lessons. .

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck.

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/15/2021 12:38 pm

Try picking just one thing you've mastered, play through that, then move on to whatever you're working on or learning. Then pick something different that you have mastered on the following day.

Don't worry about the risk of forgetting something, because the chances are you'll be covering the same things at a higher level later on. Definitely don't worry about forgetting the beginner songs or practice tunes, as they are all at an introductory level that you should move on from when ready.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
TGSMi
Full Access
TGSMi
Full Access
11/15/2021 2:15 pm

Hi, maybe you skipped this lesson ?

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22166&s_id=1781

Lisa explains how to practice, and I found it very useful.

Brief summary :

- 10 minutes spider legs warmup

- play something you can play 5 mins

- practice what you need to practice, seriously (15-40 mins, depending how much time you have)

- play something fun and easy

- end of the practice

- repeat everyday

The only real failure is the failure to try.

# 4
Violanted
Violanted
11/15/2021 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Try picking just one thing you've mastered, play through that, then move on to whatever you're working on or learning. Then pick something different that you have mastered on the following day.

Don't worry about the risk of forgetting something, because the chances are you'll be covering the same things at a higher level later on. Definitely don't worry about forgetting the beginner songs or practice tunes, as they are all at an introductory level that you should move on from when ready.

Yes that is what I exactly thought, btw I am amazed how good is the site and Lisa is number one teacher it is like having someone next to following step by step.

Dave Mojo

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 5
Violanted
Violanted
11/15/2021 4:05 pm
Originally Posted by: Little Owl

Hi, maybe you skipped this lesson ?

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22166&s_id=1781

Lisa explains how to practice, and I found it very useful.

Brief summary :

- 10 minutes spider legs warmup

- play something you can play 5 mins

- practice what you need to practice, seriously (15-40 mins, depending how much time you have)

- play something fun and easy

- end of the practice

- repeat everyday

No I didn't miss that lesson, the concern is not the quality of repetition, because what I am sure of, is that I have been learning so much and the quality I can hear. I play piano Organ and keyboard since 12 years now and also on in a live band. I have the concept of musicality, rhythms, theory knowldeage and so on so forth

Guitar is an extra thing that I want to eventually master.

I was just wondering if it is important to actually rememeber the introductionary songs as something to keep on practicing to keep some sort of varie repertuare but considering is just basic introductory lessons I think is more important to focus on learning new stuff

Dave Mojo

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 6
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
11/17/2021 7:21 am

Hi, at the end of GF1, Lisa suggests to revisit the old lessons and apply newly learned skills on those early songs. IMO this applies only on the songs played with chords.

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/17/2021 3:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

I was just wondering if it is important to actually rememeber the introductionary songs as something to keep on practicing to keep some sort of varie repertuare but considering is just basic introductory lessons I think is more important to focus on learning new stuff

Sore fingers just mentioned that it's good to revisit. Honestly, it's good to revisit anything that helps you improve your playing.

However, it's not required. Go back if you think it helps you with something. Even if it's just a warm up. Don't go back to something that you learned as a beginner if it does not enhance your skill or help you in some way.

Truth is, the second song I'd ever learned was Zep's Black Dog and it remains a song that is never a natural song for me to play. So I still warm up on it often. I've been playing it for nearly 40 years but I still have to pay attention when I do.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.