When can I move on

stevesomerville40
stevesomerville40
01/20/2020 8:21 pm

How long should I stay on chord changed ( Am-Em) before moving on to (Em-D)? Say 120 on the metronome perfectly? 150?

# 1
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
01/21/2020 7:54 am

Hi I am no expert

but I can share what help me

now what I do when learning a new chord is

first make sure I have chord down first to the point of close to second nature

to be honest this does take some time

watching tv can help but try to keep time with your foot tapping away

and then slowly introduce the meterome into the mix

get this up to a comfortable speed of Your chosing

and do this same process thing for the next chord

summaries this

when your fingers and mind really got the chord or any chord shape ,scales etc...

you will be able to get from one chord to the next and

Speed will be a by product

meaning the more you are very comfortable with each chord on its own you will start to see your want to speed up

I hope this help some

God Bless

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/21/2020 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: stevesomerville40

How long should I stay on chord changed ( Am-Em) before moving on to (Em-D)? Say 120 on the metronome perfectly? 150?

My answer is less specific but my opinion is; when you feel like it.

Not much of an answer? There's a reason for it.

It's kind of like waiting for a sign from God; if you're looking for that specific answer, you may never find it. You have to have a sense of comfort in the chord change. Not that you perform it perfectly every time but that that you don't feel like you have struggle each time you make the change.

Long I've advocated in picking a chord change and getting it down, then moving on to the next change. Well, this sounds like exactly what you're doing. Great! But I've never seen anyone ask 'what next?'.

Good question.

Don't overthink the answer. Guitar will never give you the ideal time to move to the next step. Just don't get stuck in the current step thinking it needs to be perfect. You'll die of boredom and tedium doing so.

If you have some comfort in the current change, add the other change(s) to your repetiore but keep coming back to the one you already know. It's not so much that you want to master one change then another. You want to get good at what you already know but expand and use new stuff as you go.

# 3
stevesomerville40
stevesomerville40
01/21/2020 5:36 pm

Thank you all for answering. Maybe I do need to stop over thinking and just have fun with learning it all. Move on to another lesson, come back and fight boredom. Thanks again

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/28/2020 12:36 pm

yes, have fun, and move on. Keep the earlier skills (Am-Em) on a warm-up list. Run through them a few times at the beginning of your practice session just to get the fingers warmed up and reminded of those skills. Then, move on to working on something new!

Have fun! -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.