View post (When can I move on)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/21/2020 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: stevesomerville40

How long should I stay on chord changed ( Am-Em) before moving on to (Em-D)? Say 120 on the metronome perfectly? 150?

My answer is less specific but my opinion is; when you feel like it.

Not much of an answer? There's a reason for it.

It's kind of like waiting for a sign from God; if you're looking for that specific answer, you may never find it. You have to have a sense of comfort in the chord change. Not that you perform it perfectly every time but that that you don't feel like you have struggle each time you make the change.

Long I've advocated in picking a chord change and getting it down, then moving on to the next change. Well, this sounds like exactly what you're doing. Great! But I've never seen anyone ask 'what next?'.

Good question.

Don't overthink the answer. Guitar will never give you the ideal time to move to the next step. Just don't get stuck in the current step thinking it needs to be perfect. You'll die of boredom and tedium doing so.

If you have some comfort in the current change, add the other change(s) to your repetiore but keep coming back to the one you already know. It's not so much that you want to master one change then another. You want to get good at what you already know but expand and use new stuff as you go.