New guitar, but sore fingers

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/27/2023 3:47 pm

Alvarez mf60OM.

they use a different bridge which purports to increase string tension.

I’ve been doing a lot of classical with nylon strings and my parlour with 13-53 silk and steel but I’ve had 12-53 and 12-54 on another OM with no problems.

this Alvarez comes with D’Addario EXP16 12-53. 
practised maybe an hour and my finger tips are grooved and sore.

Is this unusual. Just down to a new set up ?

I have some 10s and 11s which I’m just going to have to try on this guitar until I get some mileage in.

Dave L

edit 12-53  156.4lb. 11-52 151.8lb   
11s do feel better on my fingers

edited
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/28/2023 10:27 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Alvarez mf60OM.

they use a different bridge which purports to increase string tension.

I’ve been doing a lot of classical with nylon strings and my parlour with 13-53 silk and steel but I’ve had 12-53 and 12-54 on another OM with no problems.

this Alvarez comes with D’Addario EXP16 12-53. 
practised maybe an hour and my finger tips are grooved and sore.

Is this unusual. Just down to a new set up ?

I have some 10s and 11s which I’m just going to have to try on this guitar until I get some mileage in.

Dave L

edit 12-53  156.4lb. 11-52 151.8lb   
11s do feel better on my fingers

The thinner gage strings will definitely help. Have you tried Elixer nanoweb stuff? That's super nice on your fingers too.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/29/2023 9:58 am
#2 Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

The thinner gage strings will definitely help. Have you tried Elixer nanoweb stuff? That's super nice on your fingers too.

never used any elixir yet unless they came on a guitar but most come with D'Addario.

I vary my brands , guages and coverings , and while the lights are easier I keep taking a step up to see if I can manage the fretting etc , just to see what's out there.

Martin, D'Addario , Ernie Ball are the obvious ones

Alice , DR , GHS , Rotosound , Darco

So far Steel and String are nice on the parlour , DR Blues on the LP and the 10s and 11s are better for me on the OMs

D'Addario EZ90 , 11-52, 85/15 bronze went on this new OM

Dave L

# 3
crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
10/01/2023 11:08 am

ddiddler: "they use a different bridge which purports to increase string tension."

That's your answer right there.  My OM acoustic has way more tension than my Blues acoustic, so much so that I can barely get a 1-fret bend out of it.  It's a different instrument that needs to be approached differently, but it sounds amazing.  So instead of bends I use slides, and even then don't use those as much.  I don't know the technicalities of why it has much more tension

A possible way round it is to
* tune all strings 1 fret lower (Eb Standard)
* put a capo on the 1st fret

You should have a guitar that is still in E-Standard tuning but you will have to be aware that everything is up 1-fret when practicing/playing

Alternatively your nut may be badly setup and the grooves are so high up it takes a lot more pressure to fret on the headstock end.  Maybe ask in the guitar tech thread for advice?

# 4
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/02/2023 8:49 am
#4 Originally Posted by: crimmunity

ddiddler: "they use a different bridge which purports to increase string tension."

That's your answer right there.  My OM acoustic has way more tension than my Blues acoustic, so much so that I can barely get a 1-fret bend out of it.  It's a different instrument that needs to be approached differently, but it sounds amazing.  So instead of bends I use slides, and even then don't use those as much.  I don't know the technicalities of why it has much more tension

A possible way round it is to
* tune all strings 1 fret lower (Eb Standard)
* put a capo on the 1st fret

You should have a guitar that is still in E-Standard tuning but you will have to be aware that everything is up 1-fret when practicing/playing

Alternatively your nut may be badly setup and the grooves are so high up it takes a lot more pressure to fret on the headstock end.  Maybe ask in the guitar tech thread for advice?

Thanks Crinmity

all useful info .

Alvarez call it the bilevel bridge. The bridge sits in its own block separate to the saddle with the holes and pins. Designed to give a greater angle of string break.

The action looks good and as the 11s are fine I think it just just points to my soft baby fingertips.

The 12s we’re fretting ok but my fingers were grooved and tingly way more than I expect from the playing time involved . My fingers are generally ok but I don’t have obvious callous development.

Cheers Dave L

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.