View post (New guitar, but sore fingers)

View thread

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/02/2023 8:49 am
#4 Originally Posted by: crimmunity

ddiddler: "they use a different bridge which purports to increase string tension."

That's your answer right there.  My OM acoustic has way more tension than my Blues acoustic, so much so that I can barely get a 1-fret bend out of it.  It's a different instrument that needs to be approached differently, but it sounds amazing.  So instead of bends I use slides, and even then don't use those as much.  I don't know the technicalities of why it has much more tension

A possible way round it is to
* tune all strings 1 fret lower (Eb Standard)
* put a capo on the 1st fret

You should have a guitar that is still in E-Standard tuning but you will have to be aware that everything is up 1-fret when practicing/playing

Alternatively your nut may be badly setup and the grooves are so high up it takes a lot more pressure to fret on the headstock end.  Maybe ask in the guitar tech thread for advice?

Thanks Crinmity

all useful info .

Alvarez call it the bilevel bridge. The bridge sits in its own block separate to the saddle with the holes and pins. Designed to give a greater angle of string break.

The action looks good and as the 11s are fine I think it just just points to my soft baby fingertips.

The 12s we’re fretting ok but my fingers were grooved and tingly way more than I expect from the playing time involved . My fingers are generally ok but I don’t have obvious callous development.

Cheers Dave L