Getting back to the guitar

justin6264
Full Access
justin6264
Full Access
06/30/2023 12:15 am

I've always been around guitars. I remember Dad teaching me Peter Gunn by Duane Eddy when I was six years old, but being a rebellious soul, I decided I would play drums...

I've played drums since I was 12 years old. Marching band, symphonic band, jazz, rock, country and gospel bands. If someone needed a drummer, I would go. However, I never forgot about the guitar. I always had the opportunity to pick up a bandmate's axe and noodle around a bit. Picked up some lessons along the way. 

Ten or so years ago, I took a lesson on guitar from a former Navy musician. Sherman accelerated my learning exponentially. I was actually getting pretty good. I could hold my own as a rhythm player. After Sherman retired from teaching and moved to the beach, I kept playing and practicing. 

Then in 2017 I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. It required two brain surgeries and a total of 12 days in the ICU. I'm now deaf on the left side, have balance issues, comprehensive memory problems and impacted motor fine motor skills. I had to retire on disability because I could not do my job any longer. 

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to learn guitar again. My doctor recommended Guitar Tricks and here I am. 

I've got a lot of rust, but it's coming back. I'm going through every lesson and building my calluses again. 

I'm glad to be here...

Justin

# 1
innocci
innocci
06/30/2023 2:17 am
#1 Originally Posted by: justin6264

I've always been around guitars. I remember Dad teaching me Peter Gunn by Duane Eddy when I was six years old, but being a rebellious soul, I decided I would play drums...

I've played drums since I was 12 years old. Marching band, symphonic band, jazz, rock, country and gospel bands. If someone needed a drummer, I would go. However, I never forgot about the guitar. I always had the opportunity to pick up a bandmate's axe and noodle around a bit. Picked up some lessons along the way. 

Ten or so years ago, I took a lesson on guitar from a former Navy musician. Sherman accelerated my learning exponentially. I was actually getting pretty good. I could hold my own as a rhythm player. After Sherman retired from teaching and moved to the beach, I kept playing and practicing. 

Then in 2017 I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. It required two brain surgeries and a total of 12 days in the ICU. I'm now deaf on the left side, have balance issues, comprehensive memory problems and impacted motor fine motor skills. I had to retire on disability because I could not do my job any longer. 

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to learn guitar again. My doctor recommended Guitar Tricks and here I am. 

I've got a lot of rust, but it's coming back. I'm going through every lesson and building my calluses again. 

I'm glad to be here...

Justin

Sorry to hear of the challenges you have been faced with. You’re an inspiration of courage and fortitude. God bless you, and I’m sure your journey in the realm of guitar will be a great one. You’re in the right place to continue your journey, and the people on this forum are fantastic, and we are here for any advice you may want.

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
06/30/2023 5:22 pm

Come on in Justin!

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/01/2023 7:03 pm

Good luck with it Justin.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.