View post (Getting back to the guitar)

View thread

justin6264
Full Access
justin6264
Full Access
06/30/2023 12:15 am

I've always been around guitars. I remember Dad teaching me Peter Gunn by Duane Eddy when I was six years old, but being a rebellious soul, I decided I would play drums...

I've played drums since I was 12 years old. Marching band, symphonic band, jazz, rock, country and gospel bands. If someone needed a drummer, I would go. However, I never forgot about the guitar. I always had the opportunity to pick up a bandmate's axe and noodle around a bit. Picked up some lessons along the way. 

Ten or so years ago, I took a lesson on guitar from a former Navy musician. Sherman accelerated my learning exponentially. I was actually getting pretty good. I could hold my own as a rhythm player. After Sherman retired from teaching and moved to the beach, I kept playing and practicing. 

Then in 2017 I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. It required two brain surgeries and a total of 12 days in the ICU. I'm now deaf on the left side, have balance issues, comprehensive memory problems and impacted motor fine motor skills. I had to retire on disability because I could not do my job any longer. 

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to learn guitar again. My doctor recommended Guitar Tricks and here I am. 

I've got a lot of rust, but it's coming back. I'm going through every lesson and building my calluses again. 

I'm glad to be here...

Justin