Best practice for a beginner

matthew.l.hoey
matthew.l.hoey
05/01/2023 3:21 pm

Hello, 

I am looking for the best advice tips I can find on improving over time. At the moment I am practically starting from scratch/ no experience. I have learned a few chords, I am confident in reading tab but my playing speed and confidence in finger positioning seems to be my biggest struggle. I am always looking up at the neck to make sure my fingers are in the right place, this can cause a delay for me. 

My current daily practice regimen consists of, I try the lessons for about 20-30 minutes, then I'll try playing some scales without looking at my hands to remove that need to look at the neck. after finishing with scales I usually just have some fun and try to learn songs on my own just from ultimate tab. I am wondering if there are any specific tips you may have that either helped you learn or just get more comfortable with the fretboard.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, all the best!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/01/2023 4:41 pm

Hi,

Consistency is the key. As to what to practice, Fundamentals 1 and 2 are good places to start. Then go where your interests lie.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
innocci
innocci
05/01/2023 9:13 pm

I don't know how long you have been playing, but like William MG said it's just consistency, and practice.  It will all come together. Don't worry so much about not looking at the fret board, it's ok to look at it. One thing that might help, is while you're playing a chord for example, is to look at the fret board to where you're going next this sometimes helps with smoother transitions, especially in the beginning stages of playing. 

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/03/2023 3:31 pm

innocci makes a great point about planning ahead when going from one chord to the next chord, smoothly and without a fumble or a pause. Also, about looking at the fingerboard as needed in the beginning, so as to being using your eyes as a tool to help navigate the accuracy you are working towards. 

I teach this all the time in private lessons - and I see student's progress right before my eyes!

First, you want to understand the strategy you plan to use to get from chord #1, to chord #2. 

You can learn powerful and specific chord-change strategies in my Guitar Fundamentals 1 course.

Once you understand the strategy, practice going from chord #1 to chord #2, in slow motion. Just getting the fingers used to the "dance move" they are going to have to make as they go from one chord to the next. No need to even strum the guitar at this point - this exercise is all about the LEFT HAND memorizing a new set of connected moves. 

Then, set yourself up with a simple chord progression, for instance: //: C / C / C / C / Em / Em / Em / Em  ://

During that final C (I put it in bold), look at your fingers and begin planning what is going to happen next, when you get to the point where it is time to switch to Em. Which finger will you move first, as you go to Em? Think about this during the final C in the progression, so that when the moment comes, you are ready to make the move. 

Have fun! - Lisa

edited
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.