View post (Best practice for a beginner)

View thread

LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/03/2023 3:31 pm

innocci makes a great point about planning ahead when going from one chord to the next chord, smoothly and without a fumble or a pause. Also, about looking at the fingerboard as needed in the beginning, so as to being using your eyes as a tool to help navigate the accuracy you are working towards. 

I teach this all the time in private lessons - and I see student's progress right before my eyes!

First, you want to understand the strategy you plan to use to get from chord #1, to chord #2. 

You can learn powerful and specific chord-change strategies in my Guitar Fundamentals 1 course.

Once you understand the strategy, practice going from chord #1 to chord #2, in slow motion. Just getting the fingers used to the "dance move" they are going to have to make as they go from one chord to the next. No need to even strum the guitar at this point - this exercise is all about the LEFT HAND memorizing a new set of connected moves. 

Then, set yourself up with a simple chord progression, for instance: //: C / C / C / C / Em / Em / Em / Em  ://

During that final C (I put it in bold), look at your fingers and begin planning what is going to happen next, when you get to the point where it is time to switch to Em. Which finger will you move first, as you go to Em? Think about this during the final C in the progression, so that when the moment comes, you are ready to make the move. 

Have fun! - Lisa

edited
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!