Losing a (large) Number of Songs From Guitar Tricks

cfahome.live
cfahome.live
08/08/2023 5:03 am

What's up with the obscure Rolling Stones songs? Is that what the public wants? 

# 41
crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
08/08/2023 11:25 am

The real question is, do we have satisfaction?

# 42
DJ4110
DJ4110
08/08/2023 1:59 pm

I can’t get no satisfaction from these lame a$$ song lessons!

# 43
canary614
canary614
08/09/2023 1:03 am

I almost renewed my subscription after a year until I read this post and learned how many songs were lost. I'll look for a alternative instead. Thanks to everyone for posting about this.

# 44
na3561520
na3561520
08/10/2023 3:14 pm

Absolutely loving Guitar Tricks! Their diverse song selection and detailed lessons have been a game-changer for my guitar journey. From beginners to advanced players, it's a goldmine for learning and mastering favorite tunes. Thanks to Guitar Tricks, my skills have soared, and my repertoire keeps growing. A must-try for all guitar enthusiasts.

edited
# 45
Bobk42
Full Access
Bobk42
Full Access
08/11/2023 1:42 am
#45 Originally Posted by: na3561520

Absolutely loving Guitar Tricks! Their diverse song selection and detailed lessons have been a game-changer for my guitar journey. From beginners to advanced players, it's a goldmine for learning and mastering favorite tunes. Thanks to Guitar Tricks, my skills have soared, and my repertoire keeps growing. A must-try for all guitar enthusiasts.

Fake post?  Joined 8/10/23?

# 46
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
08/11/2023 12:34 pm

Agreed Bob. No one can experience that much in one day. Maybe an AI bot 

# 47
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/11/2023 3:54 pm
#47 Originally Posted by: W3

Agreed Bob. No one can experience that much in one day. Maybe an AI bot 

There have been a lot of apparent AI-generated posts to the Forum the past couple weeks.  Almost all have been innocuous and, while well written and usually on subject, I can't figure out the motivation to post such.  Generally, it's just one post per the newly registered username.

EDIT:  Minutes later I find a possible AI post in another thread from a newly registered, first-time poster.  It too was innocuous.  BUT, it is a direct uncredited quote of my own post about twenty posts above in the same thread.  The nerve!  šŸ˜

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 48
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
08/15/2023 10:49 am

Touché, bot. 

# 49
tjb0501
Full Access
tjb0501
Full Access
08/15/2023 4:27 pm

All, take a deep breath. Although a lot of great songs were deleted and it's a shame, more will come. Give GT time to re-group and get re-organized. There are lots and lots of great songs on GT already and I'm sure there will be others. While we wait, take some lessons (GT has great lessons), do an artist study of the great guitarists (there are numerous - BB, Albert & Freddy King, Clapton, Angus Young, Dave Gilmour, etc), do a study on chords, scales, triads, Circle of 5ths, etc, so there are a lot of plusses to GT. The site is much more than just songs. Some of the instructors are awesome - Douglas S, Christopher S, Anders, Doug F, Mike O, and others (sorry if I didn't name all of you). Until GT gets their direction and song list back together, maybe it's time to go back to school and learn the basics of music. You'll find it's much worth the time and effort.

# 50
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
08/16/2023 12:42 am

Unfortunately lost a lot of good instructors too and there are far more archived instructors with very few lessons each than active ones. But you are right, the one's that are still here are top notch. 

The whole point is all those awesome songs wont be back...yes more will come but you can't replace classics with B-sides or low hanging licensing fruit. The damage is done so unless we start seeing some absolute classics of the guitar world replacing them then point is kind of moot.

# 51
guestoliving
guestoliving
08/17/2023 10:35 am

It's disappointing that these kind of things happen.

# 52
disneyhubloginvip
disneyhubloginvip
09/11/2023 5:29 am

It's unfortunate that this sort of stuff occurs.

# 53
otakuanimeworld01
otakuanimeworld01
10/25/2023 7:18 pm

Losing a large number of songs from Guitar Tricks can be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Check Your Account: First, make sure you are logged into your Guitar Tricks account with the correct credentials. Sometimes, login issues can cause access problems.

2. Subscription Status: Ensure that your Guitar Tricks subscription is up-to-date and active. If your subscription has expired, you may lose access to some content.

3. Internet Connection: A stable and active internet connection is essential for accessing online content. Ensure that your internet connection is working correctly.

4. Browser and Cookies: Clear your browser's cache and cookies, as this can sometimes affect the functionality of websites. You may also want to try accessing Guitar Tricks using a different web browser to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Contact Support: If you've tried the above steps and are still experiencing difficulties, it's a good idea to reach out to Guitar Tricks' customer support. They can investigate the issue and provide specific assistance based on your account and situation.

Remember that Guitar Tricks offers a wide range of lessons and songs, and they are dedicated to helping their subscribers make the most of their platform. Don't hesitate to contact their support for personalized help with your specific situation.

edited
# 54
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/25/2023 9:35 pm
#51 Originally Posted by: Tinpan

Unfortunately lost a lot of good instructors too and there are far more archived instructors with very few lessons each than active ones. But you are right, the one's that are still here are top notch. 

The whole point is all those awesome songs wont be back...yes more will come but you can't replace classics with B-sides or low hanging licensing fruit. The damage is done so unless we start seeing some absolute classics of the guitar world replacing them then point is kind of moot.

"you can't replace classics with B-sides or low hanging licensing fruit"

That sums it up pretty well, Tinpan.

I recently learned (from GT Admin) that GT often purchases licenses for bundles of songs rather than negotiating for songs individually. Clearly, there must have been a fire sale on a Rolling Stones song bundle. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and effort on the part of instructors to produce quality song tutorials so I'm hoping there will be a sizable influx of more popular new songs in the near future.

As for the current catalog of 800+ titles, I've found that many songs that I don't really care for nevertheless entail awesome guitar parts that are challenging to learn and satisfying to play once mastered. In my humble (and likely unpopular) opinion, I don't think one can reasonably criticize a guitar learning site for providing that type of material, especially given the large number and high quality of existing song lessons.... so long as that includes a reasonable amount of fruit from higher up in the tree. OK, I'm gonna duck now!

BTW, what the hell is the preceding message? GT using bots on it's own users?

Sascha

edited
# 55
michael@rockon
Full Access
michael@rockon
Full Access
10/26/2023 11:35 am

I agree with you Sascha. For me the high quality of the instruction and each instructors willingness to quickly respond to any question you have is not something easily found anywhere else. Teaching talent like Anders, Mike and Chris (to name a few), is not the norm. I get it if you are a GT member that is already so good you don’t need to learn anymore and just want to learn songs but for people like me who are still learning the instruction is number one. 

That said I truly respect the opinion and feelings of other GT members and understand their point of view and disappointment which I share on the loss of songs. The difference for me is high amount of value I get from the lessons.

I do think GT is trying hard but I am sure post pandemic finances have changed the equation for them just has it done for many other businesses. 

Long Live Rock!

# 56
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/27/2023 1:56 am

"post pandemic finances have changed the equation"

Michael is on the money (no pun intended). I'll bet this plays a big role in why so many songs got dropped suddenly. I remember reading some articles in 2020 (during the lockdown) about the tidal wave of people taking up guitar and purchasing memberships to guitar learning sites. The bottom probably fell out of that membership base once the lockdown ended and GT likely had to make cuts. In that case, they would have had to do one or more of the following: cut admin salaries, release instructors, increase membership fees, or cut the song licensing budget. It appears that they chose the last option as part of the solution.

I'm definitely not shilling for GT Admin. I've had my own issues with them and even got bounced off the site a time or two. I just think that there's still a lot of meat left on the bone when it comes to the remaining song library.

Sascha

edited
# 57
rd5461885
rd5461885
10/27/2023 4:21 pm

It seems that Michael's observation about Guitar Tricks is quite valid, without any intention for a pun. It's quite likely that the sudden drop in the number of songs available on the platform can be attributed to various factors. Back in 2020, during the lockdown, there was a surge of people picking up guitars and subscribing to guitar learning websites. However, once the lockdown ended, Guitar Tricks might have faced financial challenges and had to make some tough decisions.

In such a situation, they likely had several options to consider, such as reducing administrative salaries, letting go of instructors, raising membership fees, or cutting the budget for song licensing. It appears they chose the last option as a part of their solution.

It's important to note that this observation isn't an endorsement of Guitar Tricks' administrative decisions, as many users have encountered their own issues with the platform, including being removed from the site. However, it's possible that there's still a substantial amount of valuable content left in their song library despite these changes.

# 58
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/27/2023 4:46 pm

And... the point to paraphrasing what I just wrote is?

edited
# 59
a.romeroa1980
a.romeroa1980
10/30/2023 10:55 am

Licensing issues can be a real downer. I've seen this happen on other platforms too. It's tough when you're in the groove of learning a song, and then it gets yanked.

# 60

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.