Advice on my first electric guitar

Shogun Kato
Shogun Kato
10/06/2022 10:48 pm

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked ad nauseam so thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts/advice.

I've been learning on an acoustic (Fender Dreadnaught) and would like to continue learning on an electric. I listen to every genre of music but would love to learn the sound of 60s and 70s rock. I know I'll want to explore some other sounds like The Black Keys, My Morning Jacket, and a ton of other music that is way beyond my skill level (for now!). I say all of this because, from my extremely over-researched internet reading, the sound you want to mimic seems to determine the guitar.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Telecaster or a Stratocaster but again, I'd love to hear what ya'll think.

thanks for helping out a newbie who has seriously caught the guitar bug!

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/06/2022 11:36 pm

Unless you already have a very specific purpose or particular guitar in mind, as pragmatic suggestion for versatility tailored to your 60's & 70's rock from a single guitar and learning? 

#1. Any HSS Strat style guitar of decent BQ. There's no perfect for every job universal spanner. But if there was an electric instrument you'd consider fitted the role of a shifting spanner, it'd be a HSS Strat style guitar. 
#2. As an acoustic guitar player already you'll undertand the importance of physical fit, so that's also a primary criteria. 
#3. No need to break the bank on budget for an initial electric instrument. If you're on a budget, spend the balance on an amp which is going to give you either versatility and/or the specific tones you want assuming you know what it is you want.
#4. Brand, celeb association, or looks. One word. Limerence. For sure, don't buy something you just detest the look of, but seeking lasting inspiration and buying on impulse and emotional attraction because of how an instrument looks, celebrity or brand association will wear off very quickly within months of the learning to play slog starting. Having started out with an acoustic Dreadnought, you're possibly already aware of that, but I mention it in case you've just started on your journey and it hasn't smacked you in the face yet. 

For basis of perspective. I restarted my journey approaching five years ago this month. Based upon prior experience and intended direction, my own first purchase was a electric, and unashamedly a HSS Strat style. I've since bought multiple acoustic and most every other tone & style guitars. I love them all, but in hindsight were I starting out on my journey again and had to pick/own just one, for versatility and for starting out it'd be the same, a HSS Strat type. My .2c. OMMV mandatory disclaimer notwithstanding. 

# 2
Shogun Kato
Shogun Kato
10/07/2022 12:11 am
#2 Originally Posted by: manXcat

Unless you already have a very specific purpose or particular guitar in mind, as pragmatic suggestion for versatility tailored to your 60's & 70's rock from a single guitar and learning? 

#1. Any HSS Strat style guitar of decent BQ. There's no perfect for every job universal spanner. But if there was an electric instrument you'd consider fitted the role of a shifting spanner, it'd be a HSS Strat style guitar. 
#2. As an acoustic guitar player already you'll undertand the importance of physical fit, so that's also a primary criteria. 
#3. No need to break the bank on budget for an initial electric instrument. If you're on a budget, spend the balance on an amp which is going to give you either versatility and/or the specific tones you want assuming you know what it is you want.
#4. Brand, celeb association, or looks. One word. Limerence. For sure, don't buy something you just detest the look of, but seeking lasting inspiration and buying on impulse and emotional attraction because of how an instrument looks, celebrity or brand association will wear off very quickly within months of the learning to play slog starting. Having started out with an acoustic Dreadnought, you're possibly already aware of that, but I mention it in case you've just started on your journey and it hasn't smacked you in the face yet. 

For basis of perspective. I restarted my journey approaching five years ago this month. Based upon prior experience and intended direction, my own first purchase was a electric, and unashamedly a HSS Strat style. I've since bought multiple acoustic and most every other tone & style guitars. I love them all, but in hindsight were I starting out on my journey again and had to pick/own just one, for versatility and for starting out it'd be the same, a HSS Strat type. My .2c. OMMV mandatory disclaimer notwithstanding. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience! Out of curiousity, do you recommend the HSS specifically because of the humbucker? Also, since you didn't mention a Telecaster, do you think the Strat does a better job of spanning styles, as you say, than the Tele?

Again, from my research, this question looks to be as old as time and we don't need to rehash it here. I'm just curious about your experience since it sounds like you have a few guitars.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2022 1:30 am
#3 Originally Posted by: Shogun Kato

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience! Out of curiousity, do you recommend the HSS specifically because of the humbucker? Also, since you didn't mention a Telecaster, do you think the Strat does a better job of spanning styles, as you say, than the Tele?

Again, from my research, this question looks to be as old as time and we don't need to rehash it here. I'm just curious about your experience since it sounds like you have a few guitars.

Re Strats. HSS over SSS, yes. Having a humbucker in the bridge, preferably coil split or dry switchable offers greater versatility if your want to rock across those two decades and beyond. The original vibrato bridge vs a hardtail bridge is neither here nor there for a majority unless specifically wanting to use classic tremolo in their sound or genre. Look around here and on You Tube et al and note how many people play Strats with the bridge locked down and trem arm unattached today. A discernible majority, especially in incipient learning years.

The classic Tele SS config is still an acceptably versatile guitar. You can get them in a multitude of alternative PU configs today. Personally I like Teles a lot. I have two. I wouldn't be without one. That said, my recommendation for the HSS Strat as a first and only stands, but if you choose to buy a Tele it'll do what you want it to. It's definitely not a bad decision any more than choosing any quality built and properly set up guitar is, providing it is a good physical fit with your individual charateristics. If lusting for a Tele, just make sure check the tone and output of the pickups of the particular model you choose will meet your expectations.

That said I'm a head over heart buyer. That works for me. There's heart involved, but I let impulse rule and tend to keep and enjoy what I buy. YMMV.

I've played more, but my experience with electrics I've chosen to buy over that time and currently own.

Electrics
Strat style x4, x3 HSS. (x1 mod H Seymour TB-4), x1 OEM original YGD (G&B), x1 Custom HSS Seymour, x1 HS(P90) (mod H Seymour B-14) standard scale
LP style HH x1 mod (Seymour TB-4 & '59n) short scale
Tele style SS x2 standard scale Manson alnicos PUPs, & Wilkinson alnicos
Revstars x3, x2 HH & x1 SS (x2 P90) All YGD PUPs short scale
ES-335 style HH short scale Ibanez Super 58 PUPs
Gretsch G5232T HH (twangy BlackTop Filtertrons) short scale

Bass, modern style standard scale, passive PJ 

GL. Whichever you choose, enjoy it. First electric is pretty exciting. 

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2022 1:33 am

Can't edit, so clarifying paragraph three, third sentence. It should read "I don't let impulse rule".

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2022 1:42 am

Sharing the Telecaster love. Just in case you're drawn in that direction to start. 

I agree, or rather my experience agrees with this perspective. The Tele is definitely an advantage in some genres and still a decent all rounder.

That said, IMV the HSS Strat is arguably better in terms of versatility saving the twangy County genres, not to be condused with classic SSS Strat + Fender amp clean tones. 

# 6
Shogun Kato
Shogun Kato
10/07/2022 4:44 am

This is all incredible - thanks for taking the time to reply. The beginner lessons on Guitar Tricks have been great but the community is what really takes this site to another level. Thanks again!

# 7
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/08/2022 8:22 pm

I hope I'm not too late, but may I add the following to ManXCat's most excellent analysis? This month's October issue of Guitarist magazine is devoted to discussing 150 of the best electric guitars and the best pedals from 40 of the top guitarists.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 8
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
10/08/2022 11:07 pm

šŸ‘

# 9
Shogun Kato
Shogun Kato
10/23/2022 8:03 pm

Fyi, I landed on an HSS Fender strat and it's been a blast in the short time I've had it. It's taking a bit to get used to the smaller gauge strings and learning how to dial in for different tones but it's all fun. Thanks again!

edited
# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/23/2022 8:21 pm

Well, I am late to this party. Congrats on the purchase!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.