View post (Advice on my first electric guitar)

View thread

Shogun Kato
Shogun Kato
10/07/2022 12:11 am
#2 Originally Posted by: manXcat

Unless you already have a very specific purpose or particular guitar in mind, as pragmatic suggestion for versatility tailored to your 60's & 70's rock from a single guitar and learning? 

#1. Any HSS Strat style guitar of decent BQ. There's no perfect for every job universal spanner. But if there was an electric instrument you'd consider fitted the role of a shifting spanner, it'd be a HSS Strat style guitar. 
#2. As an acoustic guitar player already you'll undertand the importance of physical fit, so that's also a primary criteria. 
#3. No need to break the bank on budget for an initial electric instrument. If you're on a budget, spend the balance on an amp which is going to give you either versatility and/or the specific tones you want assuming you know what it is you want.
#4. Brand, celeb association, or looks. One word. Limerence. For sure, don't buy something you just detest the look of, but seeking lasting inspiration and buying on impulse and emotional attraction because of how an instrument looks, celebrity or brand association will wear off very quickly within months of the learning to play slog starting. Having started out with an acoustic Dreadnought, you're possibly already aware of that, but I mention it in case you've just started on your journey and it hasn't smacked you in the face yet. 

For basis of perspective. I restarted my journey approaching five years ago this month. Based upon prior experience and intended direction, my own first purchase was a electric, and unashamedly a HSS Strat style. I've since bought multiple acoustic and most every other tone & style guitars. I love them all, but in hindsight were I starting out on my journey again and had to pick/own just one, for versatility and for starting out it'd be the same, a HSS Strat type. My .2c. OMMV mandatory disclaimer notwithstanding. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience! Out of curiousity, do you recommend the HSS specifically because of the humbucker? Also, since you didn't mention a Telecaster, do you think the Strat does a better job of spanning styles, as you say, than the Tele?

Again, from my research, this question looks to be as old as time and we don't need to rehash it here. I'm just curious about your experience since it sounds like you have a few guitars.