Lefty acoustic choices

jaan3
jaan3
04/08/2021 2:39 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks to the people at GuitarTricks... for GuitarTricks being there! :)

I'm a beginner lefty, a dad of a 11-year old who is now the proud owner of a Recording King RPS-9-TS for a week. I've been trying to keep up with him, but being the lefty that I am, it's not quite the same flipping the guitar ;) and trying some of the fundamentals on both hands etc.

Tried out starting right-handed too, since... maybe it works out. But it's not the same still. The dominant hand (left) is just more precise with picking. I mean... it's like writing with the right hand for me if I play a rightie guitar.

So... I'm on a quest for my own lefty acoustic. Been listening to demos for a week now.

The options / candidates:

Fender CD-60S

The price is right, the sound... sounds right. The looks are ok too.

Available on Thomann.

The cons:

- Plastic saddle & nut. Would think about upgrading probably at some point.

- Satin would be better than gloss IMO (on the neck).

- The Fender acoustics don't seem to have the best fame?

Takamine GD-10

It's a Tak! It looks good, plays good too. Not too much above 200€.

BUT... it's not a solid top.

My thought - the Martin X series is also not solid, so what? Other thoughts?

Takamine GD-30 CE

Not really a serious contestant here, since it has a 400€+ price tag, and a pickup whish I would not use for now at least. But sounds and looks the part.

A demo comparing it to a Taylor 314CE was great.

Taylor GS Mini

It's a Taylor, and a not-too-nasal sounding one!

Listened to 10+ demos of the Academy 10 (A10), totally dig the armrest bevel, but the sound is... "harpy" in the mids. Which I'm not a fan of. Maybe it's the stock Elixirs.

But the GS mini - hesitant because it's a small one, does not have the grunt of these bigger dreads above.

...and there's one in a store 180km away. Maybe I'll do the drive. They have one for 599€. Which would be on the very high side.

Could try the Taylor and a Fender CC-60S back-to-back, feel-wise.

Framus Legacy FD 14

Had not heard about this one, but looks decent for under €200:[br]- Bone nut and saddle

- That satin finish (vs the Fender)

- Solid top (vs the Tak GD 10)

- A wider nut (45mm vs the others 43mm).

Not too many demos on this available on this.

All in all, I think an ideal would be a Martin road series :)

They sound and look great, plus the pickup controls are internal, no holes in the body, plus it's a Martin.

The Taylors 1 to 3 series too. But gotta play some first to be able to appreciate these.

Yes, this will be a totally first guitar.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Jaan

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/09/2021 6:43 pm

This is a great post! Very detailed. I gotta say, the only way to truely know is to play them yourself. (Which it seems that you have). Takamines are great guitars! So are Fenders and Taylors. Since every player is so unique, and every guitar is slightly different, as they say, the choice is yours! These are all fantastic guitars. Good luck in chosing!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.