View post (Lefty acoustic choices)

View thread

jaan3
jaan3
04/08/2021 2:39 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks to the people at GuitarTricks... for GuitarTricks being there! :)

I'm a beginner lefty, a dad of a 11-year old who is now the proud owner of a Recording King RPS-9-TS for a week. I've been trying to keep up with him, but being the lefty that I am, it's not quite the same flipping the guitar ;) and trying some of the fundamentals on both hands etc.

Tried out starting right-handed too, since... maybe it works out. But it's not the same still. The dominant hand (left) is just more precise with picking. I mean... it's like writing with the right hand for me if I play a rightie guitar.

So... I'm on a quest for my own lefty acoustic. Been listening to demos for a week now.

The options / candidates:

Fender CD-60S

The price is right, the sound... sounds right. The looks are ok too.

Available on Thomann.

The cons:

- Plastic saddle & nut. Would think about upgrading probably at some point.

- Satin would be better than gloss IMO (on the neck).

- The Fender acoustics don't seem to have the best fame?

Takamine GD-10

It's a Tak! It looks good, plays good too. Not too much above 200€.

BUT... it's not a solid top.

My thought - the Martin X series is also not solid, so what? Other thoughts?

Takamine GD-30 CE

Not really a serious contestant here, since it has a 400€+ price tag, and a pickup whish I would not use for now at least. But sounds and looks the part.

A demo comparing it to a Taylor 314CE was great.

Taylor GS Mini

It's a Taylor, and a not-too-nasal sounding one!

Listened to 10+ demos of the Academy 10 (A10), totally dig the armrest bevel, but the sound is... "harpy" in the mids. Which I'm not a fan of. Maybe it's the stock Elixirs.

But the GS mini - hesitant because it's a small one, does not have the grunt of these bigger dreads above.

...and there's one in a store 180km away. Maybe I'll do the drive. They have one for 599€. Which would be on the very high side.

Could try the Taylor and a Fender CC-60S back-to-back, feel-wise.

Framus Legacy FD 14

Had not heard about this one, but looks decent for under €200:[br]- Bone nut and saddle

- That satin finish (vs the Fender)

- Solid top (vs the Tak GD 10)

- A wider nut (45mm vs the others 43mm).

Not too many demos on this available on this.

All in all, I think an ideal would be a Martin road series :)

They sound and look great, plus the pickup controls are internal, no holes in the body, plus it's a Martin.

The Taylors 1 to 3 series too. But gotta play some first to be able to appreciate these.

Yes, this will be a totally first guitar.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Jaan