Songs being deleted?

tinman6
Full Access
tinman6
Full Access
04/05/2021 3:21 am

I have been working on a bunch of Who songs and it looks like most of them were deleted! What happened?!! There are just 4 left!

# 1
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/05/2021 6:46 am

Gone! And if we not happy then comments gone too. Been stoked with this site and renewal coming up for me, but when I learned today that they delete threads that simply ask for a bit more detail on how the licensing works and if it could be better forecasted then I'm thinking maybe the members aren't as important as they should be.

# 2
waltercook
Full Access
waltercook
Full Access
04/05/2021 11:24 am

Wondering the same about the Who tunes?

# 3
tinman6
Full Access
tinman6
Full Access
04/05/2021 12:01 pm

Those tutorials were so good! I can't believe they are just gone forever??

# 4
MDBLUZ
Full Access
MDBLUZ
Full Access
04/06/2021 1:18 pm

I was learning "Hitch A Ride".... now it disappeared. I even had it in my favorites. I think an explanation would be nice for the subscribers.

# 5
Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
04/06/2021 4:58 pm

Hey guys, we had a Sticky/Announcement about this that expired last week. Sorry if that got missed.

Unfortunately we had to remove some songs from the site because we weren't able to renew the license we had with a music publisher.

This is a very rare situation and we tried everything we could to keep these lessons on the site. Despite our efforts, we had to take the songs down.

[br]I want to assure you that we work tirelessly to keep the songs we have and despite this loss, we are dedicated to releasing new song lessons every week this year. Stay tuned for new song lessons each week by visiting the homepage under “Newest Lessons”.

# 6
tinman6
Full Access
tinman6
Full Access
04/07/2021 1:32 am
Originally Posted by: Ben Martin

Hey guys, we had a Sticky/Announcement about this that expired last week. Sorry if that got missed.

Unfortunately we had to remove some songs from the site because we weren't able to renew the license we had with a music publisher.

This is a very rare situation and we tried everything we could to keep these lessons on the site. Despite our efforts, we had to take the songs down.

[br]I want to assure you that we work tirelessly to keep the songs we have and despite this loss, we are dedicated to releasing new song lessons every week this year. Stay tuned for new song lessons each week by visiting the homepage under “Newest Lessons”.

Is there a chance these songs will be back? These songs are 40 years old plus. How much value do they really have left? lol

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/07/2021 1:41 am

To remove that announcement thread, the GT explanations it contained and the [u]multiple pages[/u] of responding posts from GT members was, at the least, a very, very bad decision.

IMO.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
deanbadam
Full Access
deanbadam
Full Access
04/07/2021 9:57 am

Ben, can you replace the sticky announcement and threads for a while longer? even if it just existed as a normal thread?

# 9
Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
04/07/2021 5:54 pm
Originally Posted by: deanbadam

Ben, can you replace the sticky announcement and threads for a while longer? even if it just existed as a normal thread?

The reason we the announcement post expired was because it listed all the songs and linked to each of them, and the publisher doesn't want us to offer the lessons or even display the song titles on the site.

We tried our best to let everyone know about this as soon as we found out, with that announcement on the forum as well as a notification on all the affected lesson pages.

Again, I'm so sorry that this happened.

We tried to keep the songs, but in the end there was nothing we could do. While this happens more often on other streaming sites like Netflix, longtime subscribers know that at GT it's very rare. If we are ever able to bring the expired songs back, we will definitely do so.

# 10
MDBLUZ
Full Access
MDBLUZ
Full Access
04/08/2021 12:29 pm

Ben, thanks for the explanation. I agree as a subscriber since 2010, I've never seen a song disappear from the list, but I guess this time, I happened to be in the middle of learning Hitch a Ride. Can I even say Hitch a Ride? LOL.. Anyway, I'm scrambling to learn it now for our next band practice.

# 11
gabrielzamoranoyoung
gabrielzamoranoyoung
06/13/2021 5:45 am

Does anyone have "just breathe" from pearl jam tabs ? also disappeared....

# 12
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
06/14/2021 1:53 am
Originally Posted by: tinman6

Is there a chance these songs will be back? These songs are 40 years old plus. How much value do they really have left? lol

Kidding right? I could live a very wealthy life with the proceeds from just 3 of The Who songs.

I understand Slade's Christmas song still brings in a buttload of money each holiday season.

# 13
pattyb5
pattyb5
06/16/2021 11:14 am
Originally Posted by: davem_or
Originally Posted by: tinman6

Kidding right? I could live a very wealthy life with the proceeds from just 3 of The Who songs.

I understand Slade's Christmas song still brings in a buttload of money each holiday season.

Not sure what these artists are still bringing in a ton of royalties but I doubt it's as much as you think. At this point, I think most bands like them should be happy that there is still interest in their music. It's certainly not mainstream stuff any longer and I'd venture to guess that most "average" "kid" under 30 probably doesn't even know who The Who are/were or couldn't even name 3 Who songs. IMO

# 14
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
06/17/2021 1:44 am

https://americansongwriter.com/pete-townshend-sells-catalog-for-an-estimated-100-million/

# 15
rponthier50
Full Access
rponthier50
Full Access
09/12/2023 10:08 pm

Rare? A lot of the classic rock stuff is gone. Boston, the Who, Skynyrd? What’s next? The newer song are mostly pop crap. I won’t be renewing. 

edited
# 16
psace
Full Access
psace
Full Access
09/13/2023 4:37 pm

Ya I'm out too. Looks like Lick Library for me

edited
# 17
Marc2017
Full Access
Marc2017
Full Access
09/13/2023 9:41 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: Ben Martin

Hi Ben,

This thread dates back to 2021 and songs are still coming down.

Are you saying that publishers are no longer willing to accept monetary renumeration for their products are that GT is unwilling to pay for them ? Either way it would have been awesome if some email had gone out prior to their removal to allow appropriate preparation. Having been an annual subscriber for 8 years a "heads up" seems like the minimum you could have done. Several of the removed songs are in a 30 song set I've been working on for years. 

I'm disappointed. 

# 18
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/14/2023 11:26 pm
#18 Originally Posted by: Marc2017

Hi Ben,

This thread dates back to 2021 and songs are still coming down.

Are you saying that publishers are no longer willing to accept monetary renumeration for their products are that GT is unwilling to pay for them ? Either way it would have been awesome if some email had gone out prior to their removal to allow appropriate preparation. Having been an annual subscriber for 8 years a "heads up" seems like the minimum you could have done. Several of the removed songs are in a 30 song set I've been working on for years. 

I'm disappointed. 

It's not huge but there was a nearly four-week advance notice;    https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/t/60804  with subsequent "discussion" threads.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 19
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
09/15/2023 9:58 am

Yes there was warning. And I did all I could to preserve as many of those songs that I could. My only saving grace

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.