Beginers guitar acoustic or electric

MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
08/11/2005 8:59 am
My aunt keep insisting that the very first guitar you should start practising is the electric guitar because its much easier to play and much more easier to press the strings. but i think acoutic guitar should be the first because you will fully understand the roots of guitar and I think the acoustic guitar could speak a lot bout guitar history. the sound is natural..

so what you think should go first??? :confused:
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 1
scarface84
scarface84
08/11/2005 11:29 am
your aunt is right about electric being easier to play, that's exactly why you should buy an acoustic first. That way you will learn to play electric later on easier. If you buy an electric now, it will be difficult to learn acoustic later. besides, you don't need an electric guitar for practising, you can learn the basics on any acoustic guitar.
# 2
quickfingers
quickfingers
08/11/2005 7:59 pm
i got an electric first, i was raised on electric for the first 6 months i played. its true, when i got my acoustic a bit later, it wasnt as fun for alot of things becuase the string gauges where so much thicker. since then, ive upped my string gauge on my electric and acoustic, and i like playing lead guitar on my acoustic just as much as my electric. i think the problem with me was that i got semi good at electric my first year, and when i played acoustic, i couldnt play it as good, so i felt like a beginner again. what you have to do is just admit that you suck at first, and go from there. thats the only way. yea, it takes more practice to play stuff (usually) on acoustic, but wth practice its just as natural.

still, i think you should buy and electric, becuase alot of dumbasses give away cheap acoustic guitars becasue they got them 5 years ago and never learned how to play. i picked up a classical guitar from a friend and its my favorite guitar to shred on.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/11/2005 8:31 pm
Electric, because practice amps have headphone sockets !!

Much easier on everyone else !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Uneekarts
Uneekarts
Uneekarts
Uneekarts
08/12/2005 10:53 am
I'd agree with your aunt. I too am beginning and I play with an acoustic and acoustic electric and an electric. I usually play with all three when I'm practicing. I wear my fingers out on the acoustic for a while and I enjoy the softer more melodious sound. Then, I'll plug into the amp and play it as an electric acoustic for a while just to see how what I've been play sounds through the amp. By then my fingers are fairly tender and I'll switch to the electric which has easier strings. Sometimes I run the electric through a VAMP2 and sometimes not, it depends on how wild I want to get. The electric sounds better when you screw up or don't hit a note correctly.

I think what really matters most is playing something that holds your interest enough to make you want to continue to play. I enjoy the electric through the VAMP2 more than anything else because I can sit and fiddle with the knobs to get a lot of different sounds. I can play this combo for hours and not get bored. So I'd say play whatever keeps you playing.

I am a beginner so anything I say could probably get me shot. :D
# 5
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
08/13/2005 4:32 am
I've always told people to begin on an acoustic mainly because the transition from an acoustic to an electric is much easier than going the other way around.
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
08/13/2005 3:14 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarist101I've always told people to begin on an acoustic mainly because the transition from an acoustic to an electric is much easier than going the other way around.

your gunna want both at some point, but i believe you should get an acoustic first.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
cpbittner
cpbittner
08/14/2005 5:07 pm
I think what it comes down to is exactly what Uneekarts said: "I think what really matters most is playing something that holds your interest enough to make you want to continue to play". I am learning the acoustic, and have gotten over the initial "this is too hard" period, and am now having now learning, knowing I'll suck for awhile...but many people don't get beyond the "wall" as I call it, and so they quit. Great players make it look so easy that beginners get surprised at how much it takes to play well. So initially play whichever is going to make you want to keep learning. Later you can master both. Above all, ABOVE ALL...practice everyday, even if it is only 15 mins, I can't say how many times I wasn't in the mood, but have committed to my 15 mins a day, and that 15 mins sometimes turns into an hour or more.
# 8
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
08/14/2005 5:41 pm
I started on electric, and IMO, it doesnt matter. Whichever you like best. The real test is to stick with it.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 9
quickfingers
quickfingers
08/15/2005 2:26 am
perfectly said. i grew alot of respect for different types of music while playing guitar; i have dwelled in things i wouldnt have a few years ago. i play in a jazz band, i play alot of flamenco inspired stuff, im learning classical peices, stuff like that. i grew an appreciation for other stuff later on, its ok to be narrow minded at first. i got an electric and i played punk rock and learned lead guitar from a beginners lick book. point is, find the one most fun. if you get into guitar and the world of music, you will come to appreciate things you havent before.(folk music kicks ass, i might say.) plus, youre gonna learn to play acoustic well if you like guitar enough. so **** it. rock out first i think.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 10
skulptor
Full Access
skulptor
Full Access
08/15/2005 4:34 am
If you have a choice I would say go acoustic first. Better to learn on an acoustic and probably much cheaper too. Once you go electric you will always be shopping for that "bigger amp" and the "cooler effect pedals" and that could get expensive.
# 11
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
08/16/2005 9:48 am
got some support here. I think maybe getting a cheap accoustic. and try it out for a few days will make you realize if guitar playing is or not for you.
you wont need to invest lots of money for expensive electric
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.