guitar duel

MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
05/16/2005 12:57 am
someone challenge me into a guitar duel, i think the guy is better than me. I have never seen him played. but i heard he has lots of experience than i do. Im thinking of snatching a victory over him. im not going to lose without a fight. anyone here have done such duel. whats the best things to do during a duel? any tips? what would rather play jazz or shredding? pls pls pls help me
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 1
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
05/16/2005 1:00 am
Guitar playing isn't a sport, it's a way to express yourself musically. Tell this guy what I said, and if he denies it, then you'll know he's clueless.
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/16/2005 1:00 pm
Bad idea. Guitar dueling is only good with friends who know not to get competetive. Some friends of mine were trying to get me to duel some guy a few months ago and everyone was talking like the guy was freaking Jimi Hendrix (they actually did compare him to Hendrix at one point) but the thing is, I never saw the guy play. My friends thought I was better but they never heard him and same applies to "his" friends. None had ever heard me. So everyone was just talking back and forth but no one knew anything. So I decided that I wasn't going to allow myself to be set up for embarassment by talking about something I didn't know. Only thing I did know was when I play in front of strangers I get tense and screw up a lot until I'm comfortable. Besides, who cares about who's better? That state of mind allows ego trips and you lose sight on how to really grow as a musician. If you meet up with him, Jam with him rather than duel against him. You never know, you guys might go places together if you decide to work with each other. And that would most certainly be better than knowing which one can shred better.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/16/2005 1:10 pm
Just do it in good fun dude!Sit down an come up with some tapping runs,sweeping arps and such,then click in the clean channel(with some reverb or delay)and break into a cool chord progression,then blast back your distortion for a complete headbanging riff,then do the big finale(pulling every trick out of your bag)dive bombing to a harmonic end.

Also,another way to go about it is to keep pushing the envelope and continually stump him with things he can't do...unless you get stumped.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/16/2005 1:14 pm
www.guitarwar.com
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/16/2005 7:23 pm
so long as it is all in good fun, I see no problem with a duel, so long as everyone keeps in mind that the instrument is not really about competition, but enjoyment and satisfaction and all.
I would start off with a very mellow,jazzy,finger-picked part, then move into strummed parts with nice little arpeggio fills between chords, then let fly into an absolutley awesome lead part,full on tappin and sweeped arps, from there I would end the lead on a huge bend, and move back into the mellow finger picking part...
that's just what I would try to do, but at times I think that idea could be a bit cheesy...maybe try using the weirdest effects you own and come up with some crazy-cool weird ****.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 6
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
05/17/2005 12:56 am
ok! do it for fun, not as a sport. wish me luck thanks
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2005 3:42 pm
Something I make all my students do.
Come up with a 5 minute showcase of all your best talents and memorize it until you can play it with your eyes closed.
Combine several different techniques from strumming some complex chords, to lead and pull/off, hammer/on tricks, segway into some fingerpicking and then move into some tapping and two handed piano chords. Make everything gel together and improve on your showcase over the years as you get better.
Then when somebody says 'play something for me' or you get stuck in a contest, you'll always have something prepared. The secret is in variety and doing things that look difficult and impressive to not only guitar players but those in the audience who are impressed with fancy finger movements.

Try to be the last person to perform and once you've finished... pump your fist in the air with a big smile on your face and even if you screwed up... make it look like you did the most amazing solo ever done...
The audience will go nuts and even the ones who are tone deaf will assume you've done something incredible because you look so excited about what you played.

Wear cool clothing and use a Marshall stack so you look like a rocker.
Long hair doesn't hurt either, but a fast tapping solo will beat out just about anybody.

The other secret is to have a ton of friends in the audience. Most of this contest stuff is judged by audience applause.
You can win one of these things even if you aren't the best, just by bringing 30 loud friends along.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.