View post (guitar duel)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/16/2005 1:00 pm
Bad idea. Guitar dueling is only good with friends who know not to get competetive. Some friends of mine were trying to get me to duel some guy a few months ago and everyone was talking like the guy was freaking Jimi Hendrix (they actually did compare him to Hendrix at one point) but the thing is, I never saw the guy play. My friends thought I was better but they never heard him and same applies to "his" friends. None had ever heard me. So everyone was just talking back and forth but no one knew anything. So I decided that I wasn't going to allow myself to be set up for embarassment by talking about something I didn't know. Only thing I did know was when I play in front of strangers I get tense and screw up a lot until I'm comfortable. Besides, who cares about who's better? That state of mind allows ego trips and you lose sight on how to really grow as a musician. If you meet up with him, Jam with him rather than duel against him. You never know, you guys might go places together if you decide to work with each other. And that would most certainly be better than knowing which one can shred better.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.