“Smart” Picking?

sixgearz
sixgearz
01/16/2022 6:02 pm

Hi folks, I'm new here but I will get to the point. I'm trying to learn "Sultans of Swing" by my new hero Mark Knopfler, who is a finger picker.

I've always used a pick, and tho' I've tried fingerstyle a number of times, I'm not interested in it.

What Knopfler is a master at is playing only certain strings, while I usuall strum all of them, which I know is a mistake.

Is it possible to develop the ability to pick certain strings without being a fingerstyle user?

Thanks?

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/16/2022 11:35 pm

It is absolutly possible to pick single, individual notes with a pick. You can flatpick leads, chords, and combinations of both with a flatpick. I just takes time to develope the needed motion and accuracy with the pick.

It also...may take a little time to develop to the level of Mark Knoffler's riffing. He is the Sultan of Swing... after all.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
01/17/2022 2:46 am

You bet. Bluegrass players do this a lot and it's called flat picking. You can also look into hybrid picking which is definitely taught on GT.

# 3
sixgearz
sixgearz
01/17/2022 3:01 am

wow, thanks guys. I know I'll never approach 1/1000th of Knopfler, but his style is one of my inspirations!

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
01/17/2022 10:31 am

Mark Knopfler doesn't solely use the technique known as "flat picking", although I have seen him use a pick at times.

He plays "fingerstyle" mainly and will simultaneously pluck several strings which are not adjacent (I challenge any player to do that with just a pick).

Hybrid picking is a similar technique which he also uses, which is where you use a pick and picking-hand fingers to pluck strings.

Sorry, but if you want to play like him one day, then fingerstyle is pretty much the only route. You will also need to be comfortable using a whammy bar and wah pedal, along with reverb and delay, if you're after a similar sound.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2022 11:51 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: sixgearz

Hi folks, I'm new here but I will get to the point. I'm trying to learn "Sultans of Swing" by my new hero Mark Knopfler, who is a finger picker.[/quote]

It's possible to play that tune using fingerstyle without a pick & it's possible imitate it with a pick. I've done it.

The bigger problem here is that regardless of whether or not you use a pick, the guitar parts in that tune are pretty advanced material.

And I don't know what your current level of skill & knowledge is.

The first step would be to just learn the chord progression & play it in time. Then start to work on the licks & tricks used to play those chords & the fills, the lead. Unfortunately, GT doesn't have a license to teach the song. So I recommend looking online for an accurate transcription. This one looks good & shows the notation for both guitar parts.

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0087011

Keep in mind what you are hearing in that song is 2 guitars. David Knopfler, Mark's brother, plays rhythm guitar fleshing out the chord progression.

Originally Posted by: sixgearzWhat Knopfler is a master at is playing only certain strings, while I usuall strum all of them, which I know is a mistake.

It's possible to use a pick with hammer-ons & pull-offs to get those licks done. The iconic quick arpeggio section of the lead is something fairly commonly done in pop & rock solos. Dave does a similiar approach in this lesson for example.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=23829

[quote=sixgearz]Is it possible to develop the ability to pick certain strings without being a fingerstyle user?

Thanks?

Absolutely. In fact, I'd argue that the ability to isolate strings & play quick passages is more common among pick users than fingerstyle players. But if you are only used to strumming, then it's going to take some serious practice time to develop the economical, minimal motions required compared to strumming.

I suggest starting with some scale practice to get used to the technique.

Major Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

Minor Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=887

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
sixgearz
sixgearz
01/18/2022 2:15 am

Chris, thank you so much! I've got a lot to do!

I'm not that naive to think I can play like him, I'd just like to be able to play the song competently with perhaps a few licks here and there.

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/18/2022 12:27 pm

Chris, thank you so much! I've got a lot to do!

I'm not that naive to think I can play like him, I'd just like to be able to play the song competently with perhaps a few licks here and there.

You're welcome! If you can play barre chords in time, then you can play the basic form of this song. That's where you should start.

Getting some of Knopfler's specific licks under your hands is just going to be the gravy. Have fun with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
W.A.S.P.
W.A.S.P.
01/18/2022 5:45 pm

Keith Richards HonkyTonk woman, classic example of hybrid picking

# 9
sixgearz
sixgearz
01/19/2022 3:49 am

Again thanks Chris. I play Barre chords in A and E shape and their corresponding minor and 7ths. I'm 'getting' the chord sections of "Sultans' but I can hear the difference between Knopfler's finger picking and me using a pick. He can play only the strings he wants AND picks them simultaneously, resulting in a different sound.

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/20/2022 4:46 pm

Again thanks Chris. I play Barre chords in A and E shape and their corresponding minor and 7ths.[/quote]

Good deal.

[quote=sixgearz]I'm 'getting' the chord sections of "Sultans' but I can hear the difference between Knopfler's finger picking and me using a pick. He can play only the strings he wants AND picks them simultaneously, resulting in a different sound.

Sure, there's no way to get exactly, precisely his sound without using your fingers. Using your fingers you can play in a pianistic manner, playing groups of strings precisely together. Whereas with the pick there is always going to be a slight delay as your pick motion moves from string to string. It's minimal, but always going to be there.

But if you have no interest in fingerpicking, there's no way to get all the ways from here to there. :)

But you can stillI imitate it pretty well by learning to play small segments of the entire chord. He typically only plays diad or triad voicings of chords instead of all the notes of a barre chord shape.

If you use quick, light picking in very minimal motions you can eliminate the pick attack sound & get the strings to sound almost simultaneously.

Combine that light pick attack with smaller chord voicings & you can do a fair imitation of the sound.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.