View post (“Smart” Picking?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/20/2022 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: sixgearz

Again thanks Chris. I play Barre chords in A and E shape and their corresponding minor and 7ths.[/quote]

Good deal.

[quote=sixgearz]I'm 'getting' the chord sections of "Sultans' but I can hear the difference between Knopfler's finger picking and me using a pick. He can play only the strings he wants AND picks them simultaneously, resulting in a different sound.

Sure, there's no way to get exactly, precisely his sound without using your fingers. Using your fingers you can play in a pianistic manner, playing groups of strings precisely together. Whereas with the pick there is always going to be a slight delay as your pick motion moves from string to string. It's minimal, but always going to be there.

But if you have no interest in fingerpicking, there's no way to get all the ways from here to there. :)

But you can stillI imitate it pretty well by learning to play small segments of the entire chord. He typically only plays diad or triad voicings of chords instead of all the notes of a barre chord shape.

If you use quick, light picking in very minimal motions you can eliminate the pick attack sound & get the strings to sound almost simultaneously.

Combine that light pick attack with smaller chord voicings & you can do a fair imitation of the sound.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory