hendrix vs. van halen

zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/19/2005 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManHow dare you call hendrix a piece of crap :mad: !!! If it wasnt for hendrix, you most likely wouldn't have people like VAN HALEN, or satriani, vai, or pretty much anyone else after him for that matter, because he accomplished so much on the guitar, oh yeah and by the way all he had to learn from was buddy guy, hubert sumlin, robert johnson, people like that. What did eddie have? Hendrix, clapton, jeff beck, jimmy page, should the list go on?! And he did that in about 3 years, eddie did it in 10.

yo dude, that's what I'm trying to tell. Hendrix did have an important roll for development in the guitarworld, but if he was a guy from now-a-days, I think we probably never knew him. he's not a spectacular guitarist.
# 1
dakine80
dakine80
11/21/2005 10:25 pm
What happened to RedZep? :confused: He said one week and it's been three months! Maybe I should've given him three years. ;)
# 2
RedZep
RedZep
01/05/2006 1:03 am
Originally Posted by: dakine80What happened to RedZep? :confused: He said one week and it's been three months! Maybe I should've given him three years. ;)

Yes yes, I had forgotten about the site, new band and girlfriend will do that to you.

Here ya go: http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16982

Lol, happy? :p
# 3
RedZep
RedZep
01/05/2006 1:19 am
Originally Posted by: zoran the darkyo dude, that's what I'm trying to tell. Hendrix did have an important roll for development in the guitarworld, but if he was a guy from now-a-days, I think we probably never knew him. he's not a spectacular guitarist.

He is spectacular, he's not a technical wizard like so many are today, but back in 1970 he sure as hell was.

Blues_Man: both guitarists had their entire lives to learn guitar, saying Jimi had 3, is, kind of retarded. :P But if you mean his career, than yeah, but that's what happens when you inhale your own puke, your career ends. ;)

This is retarded enough a battle (as I can see now.) both guitarists had their place, both had something special, and both changed the world of guitar.

Now, stop sword fighting with e-penises, and go do something productive.

RedZep
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/07/2006 10:19 pm
Better >late< than never?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/08/2006 12:57 am
man im surprized so many remembered :confused:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 6
skylerking5150
skylerking5150
01/08/2006 3:46 am
i think eddy is the best ever ive been to concerts,and i can play tons of his songs on guitar. i just love what he can do on a guitar
:)
# 7
Ito1221
Ito1221
01/15/2006 2:28 am
Hendrix Is By Far Superior......if It Werent For Jimi Van Halen Probably Would Not Exist.....noone Will Evr Have The Sound Or The Soul Like Hendrix

Long Live The King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 8
paul67
paul67
12/31/2006 5:58 pm
both are great, no question. different styles. eddie could do it all, speed,unique sound all his own, creating a sound and stlye all his own, copied a billion times over by guitarist world-wide. eddie is no doubt number 1 !
jimi was great , eddie was just better, remember when jimi came out there was no one out there to compare him to,,so ofcourse he was king at that time. if the 2 played side by side eddie could shoot him down with ease.,just look at videos of both---2 diff. artists--different styles-- no fence riding here--eddie van halen number 1 on many lists of all time great rock guitarists!
# 9
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/31/2006 6:33 pm
Originally Posted by: paul67both are great, no question. different styles. eddie could do it all, speed,unique sound all his own, creating a sound and stlye all his own, copied a billion times over by guitarist world-wide. eddie is no doubt number 1 !
jimi was great , eddie was just better, remember when jimi came out there was no one out there to compare him to,,so ofcourse he was king at that time. if the 2 played side by side eddie could shoot him down with ease.,just look at videos of both---2 diff. artists--different styles-- no fence riding here--eddie van halen number 1 on many lists of all time great rock guitarists!

Interesting debate, no doubt. Although I think Eddie defined rock guitar from their debut through the late eighties, I think you kinda have to give the nod to Jimi. The reason? Well, although Eddie could WAIL on the guitar, Jimi played with more soul. For me, it just seems that Jimi had more passion in his playing than Eddie does. Eddie is technically a superior player (like Vai and Malmsteen and Satriani...etc) but Jimi seemed to put more of himself into it.

I dunno. I've only been playing for about 18 months. What do I know?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/31/2006 7:29 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Interesting debate, no doubt. Although I think Eddie defined rock guitar from their debut through the late eighties, I think you kinda have to give the nod to Jimi. The reason? Well, although Eddie could WAIL on the guitar, Jimi played with more soul. For me, it just seems that Jimi had more passion in his playing than Eddie does. Eddie is technically a superior player (like Vai and Malmsteen and Satriani...etc) but Jimi seemed to put more of himself into it.

I dunno. I've only been playing for about 18 months. What do I know?

About as much as me, if not more.

I think I've already said this in this thread, but I'll say it again: Jimi.

Simply because I like Jimi Hendrix's music more than I like Van Halen. There's so much more to hear.
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/31/2006 8:45 pm
I think the difference shows up most when you examine their solos.

Jimi's solos are all carefully tailored to the song istelf. You can't swap them around. At all.

Too many of Eddie's solos consist of scales and arpeggiated chords that not only don't enhance the melody of the song, but could be dropped into just about any other VH piece and fit in there just as well (or just as badly).
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/31/2006 11:03 pm
^^^^Yup to both of the previous posts. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 13
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
01/01/2007 5:57 pm
This Im sure has already been said in this thread, Their would be no Eddie Without Hendrix to guild him to his destiny. :rolleyes:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 14
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/03/2007 2:35 am

Which looks better....
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 15
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2007 3:45 pm
I like apples because you can enjoy them right away without having to peel them or worry about getting juice in your eyes... Sometimes you look stupid when you're peeling oranges...

Jimi=Apples
# 16
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/03/2007 9:56 pm
I tend to agree with you aschelman. Soul goes a long way in my book. And Jimi had friggin soul to say the least. However, still very different guitarists.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 17
dvenetian
dvenetian
01/03/2007 11:27 pm
You have to give both artists their credit due, including their unique sound.
The difference between hendrix and EVH is that some of hendrix sound was caused from things that were stumbled upon. Say you take a right handed guitar and string it upside down but don't realize that the pick-ups also need to be reversed; Ooops, now the low-E frequency is picked-up from the bright side of the pick-up. Bingo - new sound and many guitar players in the mid-sixties now are switching from their Les Pauls to Fender Strats, including Clapton! Then Frank Zappa introduces him to a newly invented effect called a Wah Wah Petal. Another thing that comes to mind is that the first 2 albums were recorded in Europe using Marshall amps (which would require a 240 volt/50 hz amp compared to the US using 110 volt/60 hz) resulting in a different tone with these combinations. This gave Hendrix a sound and feedback ability never heard before because most artists were using Fender and Vox amps.
Hendrix main problem was staying in tune with his techniques.
Eddie Van Halen's shear genious goes far beyond his playing techniques, which will be in the next post.
# 18
dvenetian
dvenetian
01/04/2007 12:49 am
Ask Evh who the best in the world is and he would say Allen Holdsworth.
I can't compare Hendrix vs. Evh because they are two different styles.
Hendrix was Blues with Soul, Eddie plays mainly Major voicings (happy sounds), but would slightly flatten his B string to avoid the rapid beating of the Major third through distorted Amps, giving great opportunities with open G and B string interals. He also built his own guitar that became known as the "Frankenstrat" and as heavily involved in the design of the new Floyd Rose locking Tremolo system. Through trial and error he became the main influence for Floyd Rose and came up with adding fine tuner knobs to the system. He then invented the "Detuna" system by allowing the low E string to be dropped to D tuning with the flip of a knob and pioneered the "Transtrem" system that instantly changes tuning by 2 1/2 steps (used in the song "Summer Nights" for instance). He also created his now famous "Brown Sound" with amp mods (although never admitted ) by reducing wattage to his amps. All of Eddies "bag of tricks" make him one of the most influencial guitarists of all time. He has drawn most music manufacturers to his doorstep in hope that he would endorse their product.
Like him or not, EVH is much more than a guitarist, he is an icon in the music industry.
By means of a guitarist, Jimmy Page has incorporated more advanced voicings to the industry than most.
Hendrix, RIP, died over 36 years ago. Just imagine what he would have gifted to the music industry by now.
# 19
paul67
paul67
01/04/2007 4:27 pm
eddie van halen vs jimi hendrix-- eddie wins !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

both are great, no question. different styles. eddie could do it all, speed,unique sound all his own, creating a sound and stlye all his own, copied a billion times over by guitarist world-wide. eddie is no doubt number 1 !

this is in a reply to my previous post: i was a little unfair to jimi, so here it goes, voooo child, and red house--simply unreal,,,,in all fairness,,,who could even come close to copying those tracks--- i think people can play those songs, but i doubt anyone can make those songs come alive like jimi could,,,and yes not even eddie. i still stand by by previous post above, but lets be real ,,if any of us could come close to those guys we would not be posting and sending replies all over the place,,,, god bless jimi and eddie,,2 truly great talents of our time-----and for the record,these guys are my top 2 guitarists of all time !!! as a kicker to ther talent, i believe these 2 guys absolutely contributed the most. imagine if jimi were alive and playing now!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.