elixer strings

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/12/2004 1:31 pm
I've alway's loved elixer's for my acoustic guitar, but had never tried them on my electric until this weekend. I must say, that I have been fairly impressed by the sound and slick feel of these strings! Normally I used D'Addario 10-52's, and if I can't find them I'll used Ernie Ball 10-52's, but I was on musiciansfriend.com ordering a pedal board and some cables, and thought I might as well get a few packs of strings. I ran across the elixer's and saw that they had a 10-52 set so I had to try them out. true enough they do cost more, but so far, I haven't been dissapointed by the extra cost. if they last as long as the ones on my acoustic did, then they'll be well worth the cost, but we'll just have to wait and see about that. just though I'd share my good experience...
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/12/2004 8:59 pm
I would use elixer nanowebs .10, but I haven't seen them around here.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
sambob
sambob
04/12/2004 10:57 pm
Eh, I don't like elixirs all that much.

Check out www.firewirestrings.net

By far the best I've ever played.
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/13/2004 8:11 pm
do you purchase them online, or at a store? I'm alway's looking to get the best tone and playability I can, so I'll give them a shot when the time comes around.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
basics
basics
04/13/2004 9:14 pm
I had those elixer nanowebs before I put on these strings. They put out two different kinds, don't they? Which ever kind I had on last had some kind of film on them or were somehow different than regular strings. I always used to put on boomers.

Strings.
# 5
TequilaChaser
TequilaChaser
04/18/2004 5:50 am
Hello all,
my first post here ever, but I have been lurking ;) anyway, Elixir puts out a polyweb ( film/coating wears off looks like frayed string as it wears) and they put out the nanoweb. I have used both, I prefer the nanoweb for they keep the brightest / clearest tone almost the entire life of the string and they last a good long time, unless you are a thrasher and pound the hell out of them. The polyweb style work pretty good too, but the string starts turning black on the fretboard end and they get the frayed look I mentioned earlier. The sound doesn't hold up as well either the more worn they become. The firewires mentioned remind me alot of the old Gibson britewires you could get back in the late 70's early 80's

TC
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]TequilaChaser[/FONT]
# 6
Petz
Petz
04/18/2004 8:15 am
i've also tried those elixir strings. i liked them at the beginning, but as they get older the coating started to break...

http://www.geocities.com/petztep/string.jpg (copy this link into another iexplorer window, it doesn't work directly :( )

and because of that they didnt sound good anymore :-/
# 7
TequilaChaser
TequilaChaser
04/18/2004 5:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Petzi've also tried those elixir strings. i liked them at the beginning, but as they get older the coating started to break...
and because of that they didnt sound good anymore :-/

sounds like you used the poly web style, both the polyweb and the nanoweb are coatings, the nanoweb are the newer improved style and seem to hold up longer, the polyweb wear out and start to wear as soon as you have installed them and started playing. The more you play using the polyweb the worse they get. I have not had any of my nanoweb Elixir strings actually wear bad, but I change my strings on my guitars around every 3 to 4 months unless I break a string.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]TequilaChaser[/FONT]
# 8
Petz
Petz
04/18/2004 10:10 pm
don't know if they were nanoweb or polyweb...
but they weren't over 3 months old ( but... i think its how often and how long you play them and not how long theyre on the guitar :-) )
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.