Whammy happy

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
02/26/2004 8:20 pm
What's the best axe for massive whammying? I use a Strat, but occasionally I'd like to go whammy-happy with those squeally harmonic dives, etc...but this ain't the guitar to pull that off. What should I look at? A Floyd Rose/Ibanez model? Anyone?
# 1
Death55
Death55
02/26/2004 10:55 pm
My maverick has a great floyd rose trem. The best ones are the original floyd rose trems. They cost a lot more though. Ibanez's are pretty good for wammy stuff i think.
I usually start doing divebombs and crazy dime bag harmonic squeels when i'm drunk though :)
There is another good trem system that slayer use but i cant remember what it is. They said they prefered it to the floyd rose tremelo !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/27/2004 1:45 am
Just a little tip, if your buying a Floyd Rose... make sure you get a slide in one, not screw in. The bar on my Jackson is a screw in, and after a year the thread has been damaged and the bar wont screw in properly...going to buy myself an official Floyd Rose next, the one on my Jackson is only licensed.

- J
# 3
Digit
Digit
02/27/2004 2:16 am
A little off-topic but I bought this Zoom Bart thing and it's awesome. http://tinyurl.com/2mwkw
I tried making my own first but totally screwed it up so I bit the bullet and ordered it. It's great for tapping but you can do tap harmonics and play around with them while your playing.

# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/27/2004 6:54 am
I have an Ibanez RG570. Great for dives and other whammy related stuff.

It's got a licensed Floyd on it, and I don't have any problems with it.

I've heard many horror stories on the licensed ones, but I have never had any trouble, and I figured if I did, I would change it, but this one does great. Holds tune very well and I haven't had an ounce of problems yet (knock on wood).
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.