Guitar Construction and Tone

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
10/31/2003 7:06 pm
Which do you think effects tone more, the neck of a guitar or the body?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/01/2003 6:05 am
The absolute centre of a guitar is the strings - the rest is just support equipment.

After that, it becomes apparent that the neck is possibly a bigger influence on how the strings vibrate than the body is. There are a lot of strongly-held different opinions on this (which I'm sure are about to appear here), but I think it's fair to say that the neck material and construction, the neck-body joint, and the body material, are the major factors.

My own opinion is that the neck and fretboard materials are probably the most noticeable influences. I tend to select guitars with maple necks and rosewood fretboards. I prefer neck-through-body construction, but set-neck is acceptable, and bolt-on necks are just not good enough. I find that the body material is less of a contributor to the final sound of a solid-body electric guitar than the choice of strings, bridge type, and pickups.

That should stir up a few hornets! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/01/2003 6:50 am
What's the sound difference between rosewood and ebony?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/01/2003 7:05 am
I haven't sensed any difference in sound, but ebony feels smoother and faster. It's also more expensive, and since I don't shred, not important to me.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.