fanned-fret guitars

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
10/29/2003 9:50 pm
Hey,

has anyone ever tried one of these? They look crazy. I understand that the fanning is to account for different tensions because of the variance between regular guitar necks (ie. 25 1/2") and bass necks (28"). But man, these things look crazy to play! I wonder if it takes a while to adjust to. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look here:

http://www.conklinguitars.com/bizarregallery/biz8images/fannedfretoctivedescript.html

Matt
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
10/30/2003 5:22 am
Those higher frets look completely unplayable, but it might work. I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/30/2003 7:23 am
the fanning is to acheive different scale lenghts on one neck. the scale on the lower strings is longer which creates a more powerfull sound like on a baritone guitar. the higher strings have a shorter scale and thus a brighter tone and a better sustain because the tension is different. i´ve not tried to play one of those, but i asked my luthier to make one of these necks for me and he said he couldnt because there is a copyright on them. *shrugs*

by the lok of those i dont even dare asking for the price.

that leade me to another interresting question...

the guitar that i´m getting soon is a complete custom with woodcarvings, inlays, 7 string, blahbla. its at minimum as wierd as those conklin guitars. but why do such guitars like conklin and warr etc cost 5000+ bucks while mine, beeing made of the finest woods and having 150+ hours of work on it cost only 3500? i personally think, that those guitarmanufacturers who build wierd guitars are way overpriced just because they look wierd.

[Edited by Azrael on 10-30-2003 at 01:35 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/31/2003 5:44 pm
Well, I know from my own perspective, one of the biggest disadvantages about going to "Mel" is that Mel doesn't have a hundred guitars laying around for me to try out. What if he builds the damn thing and I hate it? Been contemplating about getting a custom guitar made, this is the main reason holding me back.
# 4
sambob
sambob
10/31/2003 9:08 pm
Have you played a Conklin though?

I've played a conklin bass, 6 string guitar, and an 8 string guitar. Pricey, yes. But worth it? Almost..and this is coming from a guy who's main guitar costs $350 used.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.