New Rock Courses

olivecorduroy
Full Access
olivecorduroy
Full Access
04/01/2024 5:15 pm

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I renewed my membership after having been a practicing member for a couple of years. For the most part, I was pretty much just chugging along with Anders’ Rock Fundamentals courses. Recently, I noticed that there have been quite a few newer rock lessons that have come out in the past six months that seemingly emulate Anders’ Rock Fundamentals courses; the newer rock lessons are very similar to the older ones.

I also noticed that these newer rock lessons have found themselves in what seems like newer categories in the Rock Style section of the site, or maybe I just never noticed it. But these newer rock lessons are shown under headings such as Rhythm Guitar: Beginners, Rhythm Guitar: Intermediate, etc. as well as Lead Guitar: Beginners, Lead Guitar: Intermediate, etc.

I like these newer rock lessons in that, for me, they seem to have gotten me out of the rut that I had been in for awhile now. Is the intent of these newer rock lessons being made to ultimately become their own, stand alone, newer Rock Fundamentals Learning Path, much the same way that Anders’ Beginner Fundamentals courses became an alternative to Lisa’s Beginner’s Fundamentals courses?

No rush on a reply, I am just curious. I am leaning toward pursuing these newer rock lessons in a similar way as the older rock lessons in how the Rock Fundamentals courses are laid out; but my fear is that I may miss some key elements found in Anders’ Rock Fundamentals courses. I will say though, the newer rock lessons seem to have given me a boost and some refreshment in my guitar learning journey, which has been nice.

Would it be advisable to take this newer path?

Thanks, George

edited
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/01/2024 7:55 pm

Hey, George.

Glad you are enjoying those new lessons.  They are designed to supplement the rock style course.  Anders's rock courses are designed to be a streamlined course hitting all the main ideas & skill required to learn rock style playing. 

https://www.guitartricks.com/styles/rock

At any given stage of the course, or after you've completed it, you go to the rock style page & get a deeper dive into some of the ideas & skills involved.  For example, Anders will cover some rock style rhythm, or licks.  But he goes to the next topic to keep things moving forward.  If you want more practice or info on any of those topics you can find them on the rock style page.  Same for songs.  Once you've learned the basic ideas & skills of a style, then you learn songs in that style!  So, you'll see a list of essential artists & songs on those style pages as well.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
olivecorduroy
Full Access
olivecorduroy
Full Access
04/01/2024 8:14 pm

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for the quick response; and yes, it is very helpful. My hunch is that I should keep things simple for myself and stick to Anders’ Rock Fundamentals learning path as laid out and supplement that with the newer lessons as you have suggested. It would certainly keep me from overthinking it all.

Thanks, George

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/01/2024 10:41 pm

Sounds like a good plan.  The other material is always there when you are ready for it.  You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.