Do you copyright your songs before showing it to producers?

duboisemma008
duboisemma008
02/22/2024 3:21 am

I’ve been working on an EP the past year and have 5 songs I feel are solid and ready to be recorded, and then released under my own artist name (will be my first release).

I’ve only composed it with voice and guitar, production is my weak point, so my plan is to record them as solid demos with just guitar and vocals and show them to a few producers near me.

I’d probably show it to about 4-5 producers, I don’t really know them, just people near me, or ones that have been recommended through acquaintances, etc.

Just wondering how many on here register their songs before showing them to producers or shopping them around to artists / etc. bloxd io

(I've read it's also much better to copyright songs individually, vs as a group, as it's much more beneficial in case it does every become a legal issue.

I also think I have to copyright them again, once I'll do the official release? Or is that not the case, if the lyrics/melody haven't really changed?)

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/23/2024 8:12 pm

It's never a bad idea to copyright something before showing it to people you don't know. However, the composition might change when you start working with a producer or an artist. So that copyright might need to be updated anyway. It's always a best practice to copyright something before releasing it. If you have time-stamps of your demos saved somewhere, this might help if youw ere to ever run into legal snaffus. The main thing is, be careful when signing on with a partner, take some time to get to know and understand them a little bit. Do you have a fried who can make an introduction instead of cold-calling? Some producers might have contracts to sign as well.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.