how do we get past sucking?

chazman1217
Full Access
chazman1217
Full Access
02/09/2024 8:01 am

Been playing (at?) guitar for about "five years", now?  Translation?  Dabbling.  Playing what I want/when I want.  Yeah, sure, I've tried a bunch of courses.  Even tried to stay with 'em.  Where am I now?  Writing to a forum, hoping that someone - out there - might relate to where I am/know how to get on the path that might lead to where I (we?) want to end up.  "Practice".  "Dedication".  "Motivation."  There got to be so much more to it.  GT simplifies things (to a degree).  But - still.  Trying to empty sea with a teaspoon...  there's so much out there.  There has to be a formula.  Thing is, there are a million of 'em out there; but, which one is present for the individual.  Right.  It's on us, right?  As those wanting to learn.  But, again, there's so much out there.  Do we become stoic, and, pare down the options?  Peruse the offerings, and, narrow down to the wheat?  So much great instruction, out there.  But, for who?  How do we select?  Get to rubber-meets-the-road?  Anyone?

edited
# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/09/2024 1:34 pm

Dabbling wont get you anywhere, if you want to get somewhere, you need to stay committed to learning how to get "there". But I have no idea as to where that may be for you. Sounds like you don't know yourself. 

Starting in Jan '19 I took things in very simple steps.

I wanted to learn how to play guitar. Ok, so I guess I should learn a song. So I learned a song.

Then I wanted to learn why the song was made up they way it was - why those chords? So I though I should learn how to write a song. I did. 

Then I wanted to be able to jam with a song I was listening to. Ok, what do I need? I need a key to let me know what I can use for chords and notes and if my timing is good (technique) it will sound ok.

Lately I decided I wanted to learn to play by ear. I hear something, then go find it on the fret board. Its not easy, but it is rewarding when you find a song on your own. 

Where will this end? Who knows. On top of the above I continue to work on technique - I can play a 3 note solo. There is more than 1 way to play a 3 note solo. So I study players like Hendrix and SRV. How did they hit it? Can I do something similar? 

You mention a formula, "learning" is the only one I am interested in. I am constantly chasing something down and learning more and more about not just the guitar, but music. Which is really where it's at, right? 

And oh, I practice. A lot. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2024 5:19 pm

"Writing to a forum, hoping that someone - out there - might relate to where I am/know how to get on the path that might lead to where I (we?) want to end up."

A good start would be to clearly define what you want to accomplish.  Or, as you say, where you want to end up.   The more precise & specific you can make your goals, the more I can point you in the right direction & you can start making concrete steps on a clearly defined path.

What do you want to do?  Strum campfire chords on acoustic to play songs you like?  What songs?  What style?  Pop, rock, blues, jazz?  Are you interested in lead guitar?  Learning how to play electric rock riffs?  Blues licks?  Jazz comping chords?  Classical solo pieces?

"There has to be a formula."

There is:  set goals & practice a lot.  A whole lot. 

Knowing what you want to accomplish is helpful in setting realistic goals.  Then it's a matter of repetitious practice.  And more repetitious practice.  :)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
allenbary
Full Access
allenbary
Full Access
03/30/2024 1:51 am

chazman1217 I know what you mean! Three years now, many courses not where I feel I should be. I want to see....... month one learn AB month two learn  CD month 3 learn EF and so on just like school. follow this and in one year you can play 3 and 4 chord songs proficiently by year two jam with a garage band. And so on. Where is that course Anders? put it together that way, is it possible? 

I am learning both guitar and bass 

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.