Newbie from Pittsburgh

robinberuh514
Full Access
robinberuh514
Full Access
11/06/2023 2:48 pm

My Dad was a guitar player. I should say he was a musician.  Without any training, he taught himself how to play.  Mostly he played bluegrass music, but he could listen to whatever 70's rock I was listening to at the time and play it.  I didn't get his musical ability; my talent is acting.  Dad has been gone for nine years and his Martin D28 that was to be given to me and the Martin I bought him for his 65th birthday was to go to my brother.  My brother sold them both. Oh well.  I became unemployed and had been wanting to learn to play so I put it out on Facebook that I was looking for an inexpensive acoustic.  Not a day later a good friend stopped by with one.  I had Black Bart tuned and he has been on my dining room table.  Still looking for work, but I am ready to dive into learning to play.  Here goes..........

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/06/2023 3:26 pm

Hi there and welcome. 

What a shame about the D28. That’s pretty much a collectors item. Anyway have fun and good luck with the lessons. 

# 2
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 3:43 pm

Hey Robin,

Practice enough and perhaps GT Admin will hire you as an instructor here šŸ˜

My parents bought me my first guitar 51 years ago when I was 10. It was a Dreadnought and that was way too big for me. I could barely reach the strings. To make matters worse, I wasn't very motivated or focused at that age and therefore quickly gave up trying to play it. Nevertheless, I kept the guitar and had been schlepping it around the world for the past half century purely for sentimental reasons and not because I ever considered that it might be worth something.

A few months ago I came across it while rummaging through our packed basement. I pulled it out of the case and was blown away to discover that it was a Martin D-28 in excellent condition. I carried it upstairs and showed my wife that I now owned a vintage guitar. On my way back down the basement stairs....yep, I stumbled and fell on the guitar, breaking the neck clean off and collapsing half the body.šŸ¤¬

Sascha

edited
# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/06/2023 3:54 pm

Good luck Robin

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 4:21 pm

OH, you didn't think that the story was over did you, Robin? Last week I decided to sell my $4,000 Gibson SJ-200 guitar. I was carrying it outside to get some pictures in the sun and....yep, here we go again.... I tripped on the front stairs and turned that thing into a pile of expensive kindling and wires.

My point is, buy yourself a hard case to protect Bart. Also, there's something worse than being unemployed -> being unemployed and clumsy.

Sascha

edited
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.