Starting at 68

n1sxu55
Full Access
n1sxu55
Full Access
10/24/2023 2:05 pm

I am 68 and just started learning guitar.  I picked up a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar and Fender LT25.  Learning guitar has been on my list of things to do for a long time.  I played drums in my early days (junior and senior high school).  I am not getting any younger so I took the plunge.  I like the music of the 60's and 70s.  R&B, Rock and Blues.  Favorite Bands are Led Zepplin and ZZ Top.  I could go on with a list of artist I like from that era, but everyone has their list.

I am currently working on the Fundamentals here at GuitarTricks.  I am finding the lessons interesting and challenging, especially for these fingers, but through practice I am sure I will get it down.

Tom

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/24/2023 2:12 pm

Best of luck Tom. Lots of us late bloomers here. Take your time and be patient with yourself, things will come together.

Bill

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
n1sxu55
Full Access
n1sxu55
Full Access
10/31/2023 3:41 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Best of luck Tom. Lots of us late bloomers here. Take your time and be patient with yourself, things will come together.

Bill

Thanks Bill,  

Setting time aside each day to practice.  I am enjoying my progress and challenges.

Tom

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/31/2023 6:52 pm

Hey Tom,

Always great to see another AARP cardholder (like me) dive right in.

You mentioned your fingers which I assume are now quite tender. Compared to someone in their 20's, it takes a lot longer for someone our age to develop and maintain decent calluses on the tips (we're talking months). Thinner skin, slower healing time, less flexible connective tissue, etc. At this age it's definitely not a good idea to "play through the pain". If they hurt, just stop and rest them for a day or two. In the meantime you can work on stuff that doesn't require the fretting hand - strumming, picking, doing some music theory based tutorials, whatever.

Sascha

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.