Hendrix Hey Joe Lesson

Thaind1
Full Access
Thaind1
Full Access
10/02/2023 7:43 pm

I think the original was in E flat tuning but the lesson is in standard tuning.

May be an idiot question but if I play in E flat do I use your fretting and just accept that it will sound a semitone lower pitch compared to your video?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2023 6:53 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Thaind1

I think the original was in E flat tuning but the lesson is in standard tuning.

May be an idiot question but if I play in E flat do I use your fretting and just accept that it will sound a semitone lower pitch compared to your video?

Hi there - not an idiot question at all!!

For the original recording of Hey Joe, Jimi was tuned to E standard (not Eb). So we've taught the song using E as well. I know Jimi is known for tuning to Eb, but for whatever reason, this particular song was recording in standard E tuning.

If you're guitar is tuned to Eb, and you play along with our lesson, it will indeed sound a semitone lower in pitch compared to the video - not very good.

One way to play along with our lesson using a guitar tuned to Eb is to place a capo on the 1st fret, and then play our transcription up 1 fret everywhere on the fretboard.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Thaind1
Full Access
Thaind1
Full Access
10/04/2023 9:17 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi there - not an idiot question at all!!

For the original recording of Hey Joe, Jimi was tuned to E standard (not Eb). So we've taught the song using E as well. I know Jimi is known for tuning to Eb, but for whatever reason, this particular song was recording in standard E tuning.

If you're guitar is tuned to Eb, and you play along with our lesson, it will indeed sound a semitone lower in pitch compared to the video - not very good.

One way to play along with our lesson using a guitar tuned to Eb is to place a capo on the 1st fret, and then play our transcription up 1 fret everywhere on the fretboard.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I will switch to another guitar in standard tuning in that case....less messing about!😁

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.