how would you recommend learning the notes on the neck?

crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
08/29/2023 11:47 pm

hi,

so I basically know the e string but am struggling on the others.  what's tripping me up is the sharp flat dual designation.  it's pretty straight forward doing the main notes but gets confusing remembering the "double notes". 

there are so many possibilities.  I've spent some time going over youtube videos but don't know what's a good choice.

is it just pure memorization or do any gimmicks really work?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/30/2023 1:02 am

There are patterns to it, because the neck is just a series of patterns. Do a YouTube search on finding octaves. So "2 and 2" on the 6th string will take you to the same note, different octave. 

Example:

3rd fret on 6th string is a G.

Go down 2 frets to the 5th fret then over 2 strings to the 4th string and you have a G note just a different octave.

But once you know the pattern there is no escaping practice. It's a tough instrument to learn. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
08/30/2023 11:48 am

@william mg

I had bumped into octaves.  That does sound like a good approach.  

I do want to do more than just tabs.  The idea of freely soloing and not just pentatonics (which I still need to dig in more).  It's in enticing.

Thank you for suggestions.  I guess I do just need to set aside dedicated time.

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/30/2023 2:18 pm

do scales up one string and then scales across the strings. So your getting a 2 for 1

As William says there are patterns to this. .

First you'll do the patterns then the various notes begin to stick. 

When learning one string at a time just learn the main notes. ABCD etc the sharps and flats will fall in to place as you go on.

Learn the dot positions on the D string then maybe the notes across the dots.  As you move on you begin to move back or forward from the reference points which stick first in your mind. 

Do your alphabet in the first four frets.   Starting on low E, EFG, then ABC , DEF, GA , BCD and then your back to EFG 

Pick a note on a string and learn how to find it on the next string up, then your alphabet can continue until you decide to move up a string again.

There is a fretboard game in the tool section  which might help but whichever way you learn has to be brought to the actual guitar fretboard.  

It does slowly sink in.  Don't let the speed of improvement get you down.  It is a long steady process

Dave L

edited
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/30/2023 2:37 pm

All good recommendations.  There are dozens of YouTube videos that address memorizing the fretboard but the two suggestions above are a great place to start and should do the job.

Welcome to GT.  Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
08/30/2023 4:07 pm

@ddidler - cool thanks for the plan.  Sounds intriguing.

@john of my -  neat I'll have to check it out.

I appreciate the encouragement.

# 6
innocci
innocci
08/31/2023 6:01 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: crowtrobot313

hi,

so I basically know the e string but am struggling on the others.  what's tripping me up is the sharp flat dual designation.  it's pretty straight forward doing the main notes but gets confusing remembering the "double notes". 

there are so many possibilities.  I've spent some time going over youtube videos but don't know what's a good choice.

is it just pure memorization or do any gimmicks really work?

I don't need to add to the good advice others have given you. Pick a not such as "G" and find all of them on the neck, including open strings. Now use a metronome, start out slow and find all the notes, then gradually increase the tempo until you can find the notes at a pretty good clip. This is the only thing I use a metronome for.

# 7
crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
09/05/2023 1:46 am

thank you everyone.  I did find some videos on scales and did the six well four I guess.  the two over two down, three over two down etc.  I think that will really help.

already mostly knowing the e string and the 12th fret notes I can start predicting a teeny bit.   that really helps.  now it's just a matter of sticking with it and plugging through.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.