Older guy coming back to Guitar - what is best progression

cary.richards
cary.richards
08/16/2023 3:02 pm

HI,

I'm an older guy who is coming back to guitar playing after 40 years away.

I have purchased an acoustic guitar and begun doing the basic courses here on guitar tricks.

I am most interested in Blues and Blues/Rock and wouild love to learn to be proficient in finger picking.

My question is since there are about a thousand teachers and websites out there that teach guitar and each has their own approach and thoery. What is the best path to take through all the many choices available ?

In otherwords where should I be fousing my attention to learn most effieicently?

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/16/2023 4:21 pm

I qualify as an older guy and when I came to GT over a decade ago I had been 'off' guitar for better than 30 years.  So, what I write is based on personal experience and old fart wisdom... and a history similar to yours.  And is my opinion based on all of that.

Start/stay with the Fundamentals courses (see guitartricks.com/beginner).  If the Fundamentals seem too basic or too easy... good on you!  You'll be able to go through the courses faster than a newbie.  But there is no doubt you'll find something that teaches and challenges and makes you a better player.  

Then pick the set of courses of the genre you're most interested in.  If you have the time and will, you can do more than one course at a time... skills overlap and reinforce.  In other words, follow that Core Learning System chart shown at guitartricks.com/beginner.

Once your basic skills are more or less solid you can search GT for specific 'things' you're interested in, e.g., theory or specific techniques.  GT is loaded with such lessons.

I always recommend two additional approaches; one, keep your practice sessions varied, i.e., not just a lesson, but a little here, a little there; technique, exercises and drills, course lessons.  Mix it up in practice sessions.  Two, songs... unless you want to be 'just' an instrumentalist, bring songs into your practice as soon as you can.  GT's catalog is full of easy to advanced songs... start checking it out early.

Most important, IMO, is have fun.

Welcome to GT.  Good luck,

john

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
cary.richards
cary.richards
08/16/2023 9:24 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: john of MT

I qualify as an older guy and when I came to GT over a decade ago I had been 'off' guitar for better than 30 years.  So, what I write is based on personal experience and old fart wisdom... and a history similar to yours.  And is my opinion based on all of that.

Start/stay with the Fundamentals courses (see guitartricks.com/beginner).  If the Fundamentals seem too basic or too easy... good on you!  You'll be able to go through the courses faster than a newbie.  But there is no doubt you'll find something that teaches and challenges and makes you a better player.  

Then pick the set of courses of the genre you're most interested in.  If you have the time and will, you can do more than one course at a time... skills overlap and reinforce.  In other words, follow that Core Learning System chart shown at guitartricks.com/beginner.

Once your basic skills are more or less solid you can search GT for specific 'things' you're interested in, e.g., theory or specific techniques.  GT is loaded with such lessons.

I always recommend two additional approaches; one, keep your practice sessions varied, i.e., not just a lesson, but a little here, a little there; technique, exercises and drills, course lessons.  Mix it up in practice sessions.  Two, songs... unless you want to be 'just' an instrumentalist, bring songs into your practice as soon as you can.  GT's catalog is full of easy to advanced songs... start checking it out early.

Most important, IMO, is have fun.

Welcome to GT.  Good luck,

john

Thanks a ton John,

Great advice.

It's my goal to get through the basics by the end of September and then move on to learing Blues and Blues Rock songs.

It's all very exciting. 

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/18/2023 12:23 am

You're welcome.  Keep that excitement!

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
08/19/2023 1:44 pm

John is spot on.

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto for me

Rumble

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.