Setup issues with my Epiphone DC Pro

ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/02/2023 10:24 am

Hello to everyone,

So, I've got an Epiphone DC Pro (https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIUHU51/Faded-Cherry)

On Friday I changed my strings from the stock ones, to Elixir Nanoweb, similar gauges as the stock strings

I installed the strings, tuned the guitar and started playing. Compared to the stock ones, the Nanowebs sounded horrible

I started searching online and got into the whole procedure of setting up the guitar, to accommodate for the new strings

I measured the action then and it was 3mm on the low e and 2mm on the high e

I didn't measure it before the changing of strings

So, since then I have tried to setup the guitar, learning by reading from various forums, reddit, watching youtube videos, and other sources

I tried 3 times in 3 different days to set it up, so I will only discuss about the last setup I did (the setup its in right now) . All 3 setups were pretty much the same, with the relief and the intonation getting a little better every time

Note: every time I write that i check for buzzing frets, I mean without an amp

I didn't use an amp through the whole procedure at all

Also: my tuner is a Peterson StroboClip HD

First I tune it and start setting up the relief: getting a straight neck first and then setting up the relief by checking for any buzzing frets. Depending on where its buzzing, I add or remove relief

Finally I am left with an upbow relief for which I have zero buzzing frets, and the tap test sounds exactly like in the youtube videos I have been watching

Then I move on to the action: Like I wrote previously, the action was at 3mm low e and 2mm high e before I made any adjustments to it

I really wanted an action of around 2mm on low e and 1.5mm on the high e

The moment I lowered the low e, even to 2.5 from 3, it started buzzing all over the place

So I had to leave it at 3mm. I set the high e to 2.5mm from the previous 2mm, so its closer in height to the low e

Then I move on to intonation: This was pretty tricky, I had to maximize the distance in 3 strings, going all the way to the right, but I got it either very good to good intonation

(note, some notes seemed to be "jumping" in one direction when tuning, like they were moving slowly at first for some time, then made a big jump to the right and then moved slowly again)

I guess the high action isn't allowing me to set intonation perfectly

So on to the questions : was the procedure done correctly? Did I miss anything?

Most importantly: how can I get a lower action than 3mm on the low e, when I hear buzzing even at 2.5?

For the intonation I assume the only fix is to setup the action lower... but like I just said, I am stuck at 3mm if I want to hear no buzzing without an amp

Finally, I feel like I am stuck in a situation with very high action and not very good intonation from which I have no idea how to escape

Any suggestions?

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/03/2023 1:39 am

I didn't read your entire post because the first thing that caught my eye was that you replaced the strings with Elixirs. You know, sometimes some strings just don't sound good with some guitars. I like Elixirs for acoustics but I put them on my Strat and it sounded like crap so I replaced them with Ernie Ball Slinkys and got the sound I wanted. Maybe your problem is with the Elixirs.

# 2
ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/03/2023 5:43 am
#2 Originally Posted by: davem_or

I didn't read your entire post because the first thing that caught my eye was that you replaced the strings with Elixirs. You know, sometimes some strings just don't sound good with some guitars. I like Elixirs for acoustics but I put them on my Strat and it sounded like crap so I replaced them with Ernie Ball Slinkys and got the sound I wanted. Maybe your problem is with the Elixirs.

Could be

Especially if you take into account that the sound of the stock strings was very good. Then i changed to elixirs, tuned to pitch and then it sounded horrible

They were the same gauges too

# 3
ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/06/2023 10:41 am
#2 Originally Posted by: davem_or

I also bought Elixir Optiwebs with 9/46 gauges instead of the Elixir Nanowebs 10/46 I have now

Do you think these would sound better?

# 4
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/07/2023 1:44 am
#4 Originally Posted by: ligofamily

I also bought Elixir Optiwebs with 9/46 gauges instead of the Elixir Nanowebs 10/46 I have now

Do you think these would sound better?

I couldn't honestly say. My guess would be no? I mean, they're still Elixirs so would still be coated strings. Why not just go with some Ernie Ball's? They're less expensive and like I said, they sound good on my strat. Or, just get some more of the brand your guitar came with?

# 5
ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/07/2023 4:27 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: davem_or

I couldn't honestly say. My guess would be no? I mean, they're still Elixirs so would still be coated strings. Why not just go with some Ernie Ball's? They're less expensive and like I said, they sound good on my strat. Or, just get some more of the brand your guitar came with?

I will try the Ernie Ball's then and check how things sound. Thank you!

How can you find out info about the strings the guitar came with?

# 6
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/08/2023 2:02 am
#6 Originally Posted by: ligofamily

I will try the Ernie Ball's then and check how things sound. Thank you!

How can you find out info about the strings the guitar came with?

From Google

However, in an email to KillerGuitarRigs, an Epiphone rep confirmed that all current Epiphone electric models come shipped with Gibson Britewire strings in 10-46 gauge. He also confirmed that all Epiphone acoustic models ship with 12-53 gauge Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze

# 7
ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/08/2023 10:38 am
#7 Originally Posted by: davem_or

From Google

However, in an email to KillerGuitarRigs, an Epiphone rep confirmed that all current Epiphone electric models come shipped with Gibson Britewire strings in 10-46 gauge. He also confirmed that all Epiphone acoustic models ship with 12-53 gauge Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze

I see

Thanks for all your info!

If all else fail, i found that my local store sell the gibson ones, so ill pick up a set of these

Also a few questions if you have the time to answer for me:

1. I have a slight to moderate buzzing on the low E string, going from the 7th to the 12th fret

2. I cant seem to be able to lower the string height lower than 2.5mm at the low E, without significant buzzing

3. Is a pickup height of 2.5mm at the neck and 2mm at the bridge good for such a guitar?

Thank you!

# 8
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/09/2023 1:37 am
#8 Originally Posted by: ligofamily

I see

Thanks for all your info!

If all else fail, i found that my local store sell the gibson ones, so ill pick up a set of these

Also a few questions if you have the time to answer for me:

1. I have a slight to moderate buzzing on the low E string, going from the 7th to the 12th fret

2. I cant seem to be able to lower the string height lower than 2.5mm at the low E, without significant buzzing

3. Is a pickup height of 2.5mm at the neck and 2mm at the bridge good for such a guitar?

Thank you!

The guitar tech can answer this one.

# 9
ligofamily
Full Access
ligofamily
Full Access
08/09/2023 6:28 am
#9 Originally Posted by: davem_or

The guitar tech can answer this one.

Ok i will ask him

Thank you for all your info in the thread! šŸ˜Š

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.