Perfect Ed Sheeran - Question

Mohit.maniar
Mohit.maniar
07/05/2023 3:37 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the amazing tutorial on the song.

Ques-

1. Should I be practicing the song with a backing track (BT) always?

2. Can I practice without BT? How can I check if the notes came out correctly? Mobile phone recorder etc.?

Thanks, Mohit.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/05/2023 9:52 pm

Hi Mohit, thanks for the kind words!

I think a healthy balance of the following will yield the best results:

1) Practice with the Performance video - that way you can compare the sound of what you're playing with what the instructor plays.

2) Practice with the Jam Along video - this way, you'll get used to playing it on your own, but it will also keep you honest about your timing and tempo.
Feel free to record your performance on to your phone and critique it after to see where you might want to improve.

3) Practice without any tracks.  Tap your foot to the tempo of the song, and try to maintain a steady groove throughout. It is important to be able to develop your internal sense of timing and tempo, and this will help you work on that.

Hope this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Mohit.maniar
Mohit.maniar
07/06/2023 4:38 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi Mohit, thanks for the kind words!

I think a healthy balance of the following will yield the best results:

1) Practice with the Performance video - that way you can compare the sound of what you're playing with what the instructor plays.

2) Practice with the Jam Along video - this way, you'll get used to playing it on your own, but it will also keep you honest about your timing and tempo.
Feel free to record your performance on to your phone and critique it after to see where you might want to improve.

3) Practice without any tracks.  Tap your foot to the tempo of the song, and try to maintain a steady groove throughout. It is important to be able to develop your internal sense of timing and tempo, and this will help you work on that.

Hope this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

Thanks, Mike, i will try this.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.