guitar effects

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/30/2003 6:12 pm
Yo,

basically I'm looking for a reliable floorboard-style guitar effects processor. I want something that can produce various effects, nice tones, and doesn't make the guitar sound muddy or hissy. I've tried Zoom boxes before and they suck. Money is not really a concern...I just want something that will sound decent. I know unless you look at rack mounts, there's not a lot of high-end gear out there for guitar effects. So anyone have suggestions?
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/30/2003 7:05 pm
The standard floorboard multi-effect processors that are mentioned in this type of discussion are:

Line6 POD
BOSS GT-6
Digitech RP series (I think the 500 is the best so far)
Yamaha DG Stomp

Check the above models out. All of them offer multiple effects in one convenient package. Some have built-in expression pedals that can control volume, effect mix/level, wah, etc. Some have MIDI capabilities. I think all now have amp modelling.

My personal fave is the BOSS GT-6. It has all the above features that I mentioned and even has wah modelling. If money truly is no object, I doubt you'll be disappointed. It basically combines every BOSS pedal and some non-BOSS pedals into one unit. No matter what everyone else says about the presets, the built-in sounds are amazing, if you know how and when to use them. Plus, it comes in a wicked gold colour.

I've also heard that the new Digitech was supposed to have a built-in talkbox...haven't heard any more news on that.

This may very well spark a stimulating discussion of multi-effect processors... I can't wait!!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
sithgt6
sithgt6
04/30/2003 8:30 pm
I'd have to second the GT-6

It took me a while to get my grubby hands on one, but now it is mine - oh yes, it is mine and I have yet to hear or play through anything else that is it's equal. Yeah, the learning curve is a bit steep - but you have so much control over so many paramiters.

And, yes I have tried the POD products and they just don't hold a stick to the mighty 6.

D.
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/30/2003 8:56 pm
digitech gnx 3 or gnx 2 is quality
i also had boss gt3 which was good also
try these two (gt6 is now available) and see what you like
pod line 6 is good aslo, infect may even sound a little better but a lot more expensive.
try em out

WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/30/2003 11:41 pm
GT-6 ... I have the GT-3 and it kicks , and I'm sure that it's successor (GT-6) should be a little better at least.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/01/2003 12:09 am
I have and use both the GNX-2 and a POD pro.

If you are after an amp modeling unit, the pod is cool however although it has effects on it, it is not really designed as an effects unit.

The GNX-1 or 2 or 3 however are brilliant for effects but not so hot on the amp modeling.

I have a friend who go one of the RPs and he was also very happy with it.

Best of luck

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Gav5
Gav5
05/01/2003 8:33 am
Definitely the new digitech GNX range yet they've got some kick ass stuff with some brilliant effects and if you run out of ideas you can download some new effects from there patch library on the site
# 7
Karate_Elvis
Karate_Elvis
05/03/2003 2:27 am
IMHO, The Line6 products are BY FAR the best out there.

PodXT
Vetta
Flextone III

They have SO MANY effects and killer tones, you will never run out. They also use software updates so you get new amps and effects. I used to use a Bradshaw switcher and vintage amps and effects and blah blah blah blah... No more of that pain in the butt now.

Just my .00002 cents.
Karate Elvis

"Chicks can't resist Johnny Bravo"
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.