In Your Opinion Whats The Best Way to Put a Band Togather?

Cody_King
Cody_King
03/16/2003 4:35 am
What do you think the most important Traits are to put a good band togather if you were going to try to get to the top. Explain your reasons.
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/16/2003 2:23 pm
Obviously everyone should get along, so as not to upset other members too often. Like same type of music, although if people like different music then the band could probably come up with some interesting tunes.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
03/16/2003 3:09 pm
Dont hire anyone with a big ego. Big ego's drag people down in the music biz.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2003 6:07 am
I don't think I've ever formally asked somebody to join a band. I rent some warehouse space and hold auditions. The ones that end up in the band are usually not just the best players, but the ones who enjoy hanging around and creating music. ie, they show up eager and ready to work without being pushed.
It's just something that naturally evolves over time.
Same thing goes with working with people over the internet. The ones that immediately start talking about money and percentages and copyrights etc... I don't even wanna talk to em.
I'd rather work with somebody with talent, who's willing and excited about working just for the sake of making music.
And if anybody you work with ever starts using the lame excuse 'I'm really busy right now.....', give em the boot.
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/17/2003 11:37 am
If you want to get something done its a good idea to keep it all under your own controll. The idea of a band where everyone is best friends and everyone participates equaly in everything is a very romantic one - but also extremely rare in reality. Once you start arguing with eachother about a single note or a chord like "no i dont like that chord here" or "no - i see it as a 5/4 rythm" it starts to be uninterresting and unproductive.

I tend to sit at home, write my own songs and after i´m done i go and search for the best and most prefessional dudes i can find, because i know that i can rely on peeps with experience. And i know that they will do what they are told to instead of starting arguements.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
03/18/2003 4:49 am
Superglue......
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/18/2003 5:06 am
superglue and duck-tape, get it right! :D

Schmange hits the nail right on the head with his post.
# 7
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
03/18/2003 1:18 pm
Keeping the bond is important, don't blow over a really small matter. understand each and everyone ideas.
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 8
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
03/22/2003 1:48 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
superglue and duck-tape, get it right! :D

Schmange hits the nail right on the head with his post.

Duct tape, you have no idea........
:)
-And it was good
# 9
blabj
blabj
03/23/2003 3:53 pm
no its duck tape. any way i think the best way to make a good band is to pick people that are as good as you are and are willing to advance at a speed that you are, theres no point in picking someone who learns 1 riff a month when you learn 15 riffs and 2 scales! also i think that you shouldnt make excusses and make sure that you have a good relationship (as freinds, although...)and that you see each other at least 2 times a week.
A question to all...

If one synchronized swimmer drowns,
do the rest have to drown too?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
# 10
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
03/23/2003 4:22 pm
Blabj-

No, I didn't mean the spelling of duct tape,(that is how its spelled) I ment that we use it to fix just about everyhting in my band. It was a joke. ;)
Also, the you said about finding people who are good enough and willing to advance and all that. I just wanted to add, I went through that with another guitarist. It sucks! I gave him 7 weeks to learn TNT by AC/DC. After that we decided we needed another guitarist. It was nothing personal or anything, its just what we had to do.
So, moral of the story; find people who are willing to play as well as they can, and are as dedicated to the band as you are. It makes things go a lot smoother.

-And it was good
# 11
qotsa_rok
qotsa_rok
03/23/2003 4:30 pm
Iv found from past experience that it's got to be your friends or people you get on really well even if they play **** on their instuments you've just got to persuade them to play and learn more. I was in a band with a guy who was a pretty good guitarist(not brilliant) but he had a **** attitude(eg. always letting people down etc.) so you've got to find friends you can trust and generally chill out with. A band is all about having fun so MAKE IT FUN!!!:)
# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/24/2003 12:00 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Finding the right lineup is a lot like finding the right girl.... it just happens, IMHO.

That's my exact opinion,too.
All the other stuff,dedication and commitment,all that stuff revolves around the basic chemistry.
Coz at the end of the day,it's meant to be enjoyed.By sharing your joys and miseries in a musical context.And that isn't going to happen if the chemistry ain't right.
You can always find another good girl.Not so another good bassist.:D
Joke.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.