Tele in Strat clothing

hobinlobo
hobinlobo
06/01/2023 12:32 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this ends up being a long question, but I am looking to give my strat a little bit of a tele flavour. (I understand it will not sound exactly like a tele.)

So, as I understand it, this will involve doing two key things.

1)     Getting a bridge pick up with a base plate (e.g. Seymour Duncan Twang Banger.)

2)     Wiring the guitar so that I can select bridge and neck pick up together.

However, I believe that there may be some complications. So I have some questions:

How are teles usually wired?

I should say I don’t have a full understanding of all the details, but I do know that two pick ups can be wired together in a range of different ways: RWRP, in/out of phase, series or parallel, etc. And, for example, I know the baja telecaster is wired differently - compared to a usual tele (and has a 4 way switch).

So what are the characteristics of a standard telecaster? (E.g. Think Steve Cropper?)

And, apart from wiring the bridge to play with the neck, how does the tele wiring differ from strat wiring? (Note: I am not going to wire it myself, so I just need to know enough to ensure I buy the right parts.)

A (possible) complication

So far I have 2 pick ups – neck and middle – but haven’t bought the bridge yet.

Both the neck and the middle are south polarity. This wasn’t intended, but is what I have ended up with.

I appreciate that this means neck + middle won’t be hum cancelling. But maybe that doesn’t matter if I am aiming for tele style. (Depending on how I set it up, this combination might not even be an option.)

So do I want a north bridge? (To cancel hum when combined with the neck, or the middle.) Or should I get south. (I think I read telecasters aren’t wired to be hum cancelling? Is that right?) (Again, if you want an example of what I have in mind, think Steve Cropper.)

(Coincidentally, I have just watched this video, and (at 1 hour 12 min) Mick Taylor talks about preferring strats without RWRP.)

Output

My middle and neck pick ups are around 6 to 6.5 kOhm. And there are two possible bridge pick ups I could choose. One is 6.7kOhm, and the other is 8.3 kOhm. So, just in terms of output, any thoughts about which would be the better choice.

Thanks

Rob

# 1
innocci
innocci
06/01/2023 5:47 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: hobinlobo

Hi,

Sorry if this ends up being a long question, but I am looking to give my strat a little bit of a tele flavour. (I understand it will not sound exactly like a tele.)

So, as I understand it, this will involve doing two key things.

1)     Getting a bridge pick up with a base plate (e.g. Seymour Duncan Twang Banger.)

2)     Wiring the guitar so that I can select bridge and neck pick up together.

However, I believe that there may be some complications. So I have some questions:

How are teles usually wired?

I should say I don’t have a full understanding of all the details, but I do know that two pick ups can be wired together in a range of different ways: RWRP, in/out of phase, series or parallel, etc. And, for example, I know the baja telecaster is wired differently - compared to a usual tele (and has a 4 way switch).

So what are the characteristics of a standard telecaster? (E.g. Think Steve Cropper?)

And, apart from wiring the bridge to play with the neck, how does the tele wiring differ from strat wiring? (Note: I am not going to wire it myself, so I just need to know enough to ensure I buy the right parts.)

A (possible) complication

So far I have 2 pick ups – neck and middle – but haven’t bought the bridge yet.

Both the neck and the middle are south polarity. This wasn’t intended, but is what I have ended up with.

I appreciate that this means neck + middle won’t be hum cancelling. But maybe that doesn’t matter if I am aiming for tele style. (Depending on how I set it up, this combination might not even be an option.)

So do I want a north bridge? (To cancel hum when combined with the neck, or the middle.) Or should I get south. (I think I read telecasters aren’t wired to be hum cancelling? Is that right?) (Again, if you want an example of what I have in mind, think Steve Cropper.)

(Coincidentally, I have just watched this video, and (at 1 hour 12 min) Mick Taylor talks about preferring strats without RWRP.)

Output

My middle and neck pick ups are around 6 to 6.5 kOhm. And there are two possible bridge pick ups I could choose. One is 6.7kOhm, and the other is 8.3 kOhm. So, just in terms of output, any thoughts about which would be the better choice.

Thanks

Rob

I'm getting a little lazier in my old age, so I would just buy a tele and add it to my arsenal, or sell the strat and get a tele.

# 2
hobinlobo
hobinlobo
06/01/2023 9:10 pm

I did assume someone would say, just buy a tele. There are multiple reasons I don't want to do that.

I don't want to have lots of guitars. I probably have more than enough already. 

I have tried multiple telecasters and haven't found one I like as much as either of my strats.

If I do what I plan to do, it will still be a strat, and be able to do all (or most) things a strat can do, just with a slightly different bridge sound (plus a new option of bridge and neck).

I like strats because I like how you can just take out one loaded pickguard and pop a different one in.

# 3
hobinlobo
hobinlobo
06/02/2023 12:11 am

Oops. Sorry. I realise I have posted this in the wrong place. I meant to post this in "ask a guitar tech". Sorry.

# 4
innocci
innocci
06/02/2023 5:19 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: hobinlobo

I did assume someone would say, just buy a tele. There are multiple reasons I don't want to do that.

I don't want to have lots of guitars. I probably have more than enough already. 

I have tried multiple telecasters and haven't found one I like as much as either of my strats.

If I do what I plan to do, it will still be a strat, and be able to do all (or most) things a strat can do, just with a slightly different bridge sound (plus a new option of bridge and neck).

I like strats because I like how you can just take out one loaded pickguard and pop a different one in.

I apologize, I was just being a smart aleck, I'm sure you'll get it the way you want it. Doing what you're 

desiring to do will definitely improve your tech knowledge, awesome endeavor. 

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.