Wrist and thumb positioning

Andrei_Sheremet
Andrei_Sheremet
05/25/2023 4:48 pm

Good day,

I  am a bit worried for my basics and in particular left hand positioning. People say that my wrist looks weird and unnatural when I try to play a chord.  I have added a few pictures where I try to play C Major and D major. I have googled through several videos about ''neutral wrist positioning'', but I don't see how to put it in practice. Is it a big issue or I can just ignore it and keep practicing ? Thanks in advance

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/26/2023 5:51 pm

Hey, there!  These are good questions.  

First, does it feel natural & comfortable to you?  Can you play the chords smoothly & change between them?  If so, then you doing fine.  The C major chord looks good, but it looks like you thumb might be awkward on the D major chord.  You might find it more effective to move your thumb a little more to the bass side of the neck to oppose the pressure of your fingers on the treble side.

If you haven't yet, I encourage you to work through the Guitar Fundamentals course.  In particular this tutorial covers basic open chords with the proper mechanics.  This lesson is the D major chord & the next is the C major chord.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/31266

And I cover general fretting hand mechanics here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/10654

In lesson 2 in particular I discuss what I call the axis of power that is effectively keeping opposing pressure between your fretting fingers & thumb.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Andrei_Sheremet
Andrei_Sheremet
05/27/2023 7:45 pm

Ok, good to know that I do something right. I am cuurently on the fundamental course part 2, so I had been through D Major lesson, but probably I should relearn it. Thanks for help!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/28/2023 1:43 pm

You're welcome!  Keep learning & practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.