Main Solo La Grange. lesson #6 is there a transcription error in Bar 18, beats 3 and 4??

Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
04/28/2023 6:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Love your lessons. I am working on the main solo in La Grange, lesson #6. "Now I might be mistaken", but I think there is a notation error in bar 18 beat 3 and 4. the pitches are correct but the rhythmic phrasing is reversed between beat 3 and 4, as the notated rhythms are not consistent with your lick-by-lick explanation in the video, and play thru and audio. this is a cool but somewhat difficult lick so it would be good to have it correct from the get go. Am I correct in this or am I missing something on this entirely. If I am correct, is there a way to correct the tab?

Do you ever go back and correct errors in the tab?  thanks for your help. Please keep the lessons coming......

A Haw, haw, haw,

Jim

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/29/2023 2:08 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Dr Jimmy Jack

Hi Mike,

Love your lessons. I am working on the main solo in La Grange, lesson #6. "Now I might be mistaken", but I think there is a notation error in bar 18 beat 3 and 4. the pitches are correct but the rhythmic phrasing is reversed between beat 3 and 4, as the notated rhythms are not consistent with your lick-by-lick explanation in the video, and play thru and audio. this is a cool but somewhat difficult lick so it would be good to have it correct from the get go. Am I correct in this or am I missing something on this entirely. If I am correct, is there a way to correct the tab?

Do you ever go back and correct errors in the tab?  thanks for your help. Please keep the lessons coming......

A Haw, haw, haw,

Jim

Hi Jim - thanks for the kind words! 

The transcription is indeed correct! Up to speed though, it can be difficult to hear the rhythmic articulation and separation of the notes when it's bouncing back and forth between the 8th and 10th frets on different strings. The higher gain tone doesn't help with this either, so the attack might be lost a bit.

Be sure to use the speed buttons on the left side of the video frame to slow down the faster licks.  That might help a bit to match the performance with the tab.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
05/12/2023 6:34 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi Jim - thanks for the kind words! 

The transcription is indeed correct! Up to speed though, it can be difficult to hear the rhythmic articulation and separation of the notes when it's bouncing back and forth between the 8th and 10th frets on different strings. The higher gain tone doesn't help with this either, so the attack might be lost a bit.

Be sure to use the speed buttons on the left side of the video frame to slow down the faster licks.  That might help a bit to match the performance with the tab.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I had been using the slow settings. From your slow lick by lick explanation, I just assummed it was the other way round. You probably are right that the transcription is correct. the record is very muddy on those beats so I will just go with that. Interestingly, I have several other transcriptions of the song from the guitar mags and that spot is different in all of them! but after doing it as written, I really like that phrasing and it stands out. So thank you for that. Very cool lick.

BTW: is there a way to be notified when you have replied other than just checking back?

Jim

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2023 11:31 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Dr Jimmy Jack

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I had been using the slow settings. From your slow lick by lick explanation, I just assummed it was the other way round. You probably are right that the transcription is correct. the record is very muddy on those beats so I will just go with that. Interestingly, I have several other transcriptions of the song from the guitar mags and that spot is different in all of them! but after doing it as written, I really like that phrasing and it stands out. So thank you for that. Very cool lick.

BTW: is there a way to be notified when you have replied other than just checking back?

Jim

Hey Jim - I'm so glad that lick is working out for you!!  It is indeed a bit of a muddy one, so I'm not surprised there are several different transcriptions.

As for the forum notifications, I believe you have to hit the subscribe button in order to receive those.

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.